S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing throttle body heater lines

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Nov 2 2010, 10:13 PM
Alright, TB bypass is done, It was such a pain in the ass I dont think I'm going to recommend anyone to do this... Theres a pinch hose clamp right above the driver side engine mount that needs to be removed, and it is just in the wrong place. If the intake manifold was removed, it'd probably be a cinch but with it on, its nearly impossible to see or use a plier on. I pinched it with my fingers to get it off and my fingers right now are numb as fock.

I recommend anyone who wants to do this mod to just keep that bottom hose and bypass it straight to the bleeder with a adapter in the middle, but i really dont know how much this will help. I checked the TB/IM temp after I bypassed it and it felt exactly the same temperature. Perhaps if there was a hondata gasket it might be cooler? No clue why the temp didnt drop significantly, but I dont think its worth doing unless your hoses are fraying like mine.
it still heats up due to underhood heat. I believe underhood heat temps are just as high, if not higher than coolant temps so eventually the metal parts end up being just as hot. The rate of heating is likely slowed down but after a certain amount of time in city driving the temps will be pretty similar. The same thing applies to Hondata gaskets, heat absorbed underhood leads to metal parts heating up despite being isolated with a gasket.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JFUSION,Nov 2 2010, 04:33 PM] it still heats up due to underhood heat.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Talk about PITA, I just changed both rad hoses to swap them out for blue Samcos, clearly one of the worst jobs a person could do on these cars. Hope those are the last hoses this car ever needs.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM

^Haha, I was thinking that when I was changing the little one... Not looking forward to having to do that one. I think for that I'm just going to slice the hose and use one of those hand tightening hose clamps so I dont have to force a plier/screwdriver in there. Everything on this S is so damn easy to work on....except these damn heater/radiator hoses. gah.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Nov 2 2010, 09:33 PM
it still heats up due to underhood heat. I believe underhood heat temps are just as high, if not higher than coolant temps so eventually the metal parts end up being just as hot. The rate of heating is likely slowed down but after a certain amount of time in city driving the temps will be pretty similar. The same thing applies to Hondata gaskets, heat absorbed underhood leads to metal parts heating up despite being isolated with a gasket.
It will absorb engine heat, but it's no where near the coolant temp.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Nov 3 2010, 06:01 AM
It will absorb engine heat, but it's no where near the coolant temp.
Ok, mini-bump. A few days ago I was really opening it up, to get the coolant to flow/get rid of any remaining bubbles. After about 10-20 minutes of hard driving, I parked the car, popped the hood and touched the TB. It was "warm" to the touch! I guess when you drive it harder, the air going through the TB actually cools the TB enough for it to make a difference. I think this will definitely lower heatsoak after HARD driving, and its worth looking into for race-prepped s2000s. I now change my mind to recommend this modification to people looking at lowering heatsoak.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you also make lower temps with a CAi or Snorkel.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I drove 60 miles on the freeway to dyno my non-adjusted car. Put down 207hp for a 70K 04.

I wonder if there would be any real power gains to this mod or it's all in peoples head?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Nov 7 2010, 07:57 AM
I drove 60 miles on the freeway to dyno my non-adjusted car. Put down 207hp for a 70K 04.

I wonder if there would be any real power gains to this mod or it's all in peoples head?
While its true a CAI will definitely cool down the intake charge, I can 100% say for sure that removing the TB lines will cool it down as well. No matter how cool the charge is coming in, if its getting heated by the TB the intake air mass will expand in volume and slow the charge behind it - creating less power.

Actually, a CAI and a TB bypass will probably work together well, the cooler initial charge will cool the TB faster as you get on it so it'll be even cooler, faster.

If I had a datalogger I would measure out the intake temp before and after this mod, if anyone has it PLEASE do it. Remember a 1% decrease in temp will be a 1% increase in power (theoretically).

I dont know for sure if the increase in power will be observable in a dyno since it -might- be so little, but who knows. I don't have easy access to a dyno or datalogger, if someone does please update us!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Nov 7 2010, 03:16 PM
While its true a CAI will definitely cool down the intake charge, I can 100% say for sure that removing the TB lines will cool it down as well. No matter how cool the charge is coming in, if its getting heated by the TB the intake air mass will expand in volume and slow the charge behind it - creating less power.

Actually, a CAI and a TB bypass will probably work together well, the cooler initial charge will cool the TB faster as you get on it so it'll be even cooler, faster.

If I had a datalogger I would measure out the intake temp before and after this mod, if anyone has it PLEASE do it. Remember a 1% decrease in temp will be a 1% increase in power (theoretically).

I dont know for sure if the increase in power will be observable in a dyno since it -might- be so little, but who knows. I don't have easy access to a dyno or datalogger, if someone does please update us!
1% would be 2hp at the wheels. Cheapest mod available for our car.

If it cannot be measured it's probably not realistically doing anything.

Would really love some info on this. Like a before and after, same day dyno.

Quick Reply: Removing throttle body heater lines