S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing throttle body heater lines

Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing throttle body heater lines

Living in Hawaii, I don't think I need the "warming" effects that the throttle body lines are there for, unless they're there for another reason? (heat expansion yada yada..)

Has anyone done this before? I see lines going to the idle air control valve (possibly needed, to adjust for temp change...? or is it unnecessary?), to the throttle body, then finally to the bleeder valve area.

I was thinking of going straight from where it comes out under the throttle body to the bleeder valve if the IAC section was unnecessary? If it is, how about from tb-> IACV->bleeder?

Any info? I'm doing this since my car is 10 years old and those OEM hoses are looking kinda sketchy..
Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to sound like a dick but do a seach on coolant bypass. I did this mod and have had no probs with it and I drive it thru winter without the coolant going thru the TB. and i have bypassed the IAC valve too. no weird idle either.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM

hum. I did do a search as well as a DIY FAQ check.. Perhaps it should be on there?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=799150

for info if anyone lands on this thread with the crappy s2ki search function!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM

actually, I dont like how that diy is.. I'll try do a real DIY and post it up.

My question still stands, is the heat needed into the IACv?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I dunno if it does. I saw another thread and it looks like his just just uncapped, haven't got an answer on his thread yet.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I bought a 5 ft length of fuel line (they didnt have that size heater hose, and you can sub fuel->heater but not the other way) and I was just going to cap everything if it wasnt required and bypass all the lines in the TB..
Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It prevents the valve from icing up in cold weather.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

^welp, guess I dont need it. Thanks SgtB. I'll have a DIY + pics up within a week. Tuesday = election day so its my day off to play with car :]
Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Alright, TB bypass is done, It was such a pain in the ass I dont think I'm going to recommend anyone to do this... Theres a pinch hose clamp right above the driver side engine mount that needs to be removed, and it is just in the wrong place. If the intake manifold was removed, it'd probably be a cinch but with it on, its nearly impossible to see or use a plier on. I pinched it with my fingers to get it off and my fingers right now are numb as fock.

I recommend anyone who wants to do this mod to just keep that bottom hose and bypass it straight to the bleeder with a adapter in the middle, but i really dont know how much this will help. I checked the TB/IM temp after I bypassed it and it felt exactly the same temperature. Perhaps if there was a hondata gasket it might be cooler? No clue why the temp didnt drop significantly, but I dont think its worth doing unless your hoses are fraying like mine.

Quick Reply: Removing throttle body heater lines