S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing the rear bumper. Fiberglass question too.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the rear bumper. Fiberglass question too.

I was going to remove my rear bumper and mount some aftermarket pieces. I was wondering if it is more simple than the front bumper? Is there any photo's of this anywhere?

Also Fiberglass question. How would you get a piece of wood to stick to fiberglass. This would be a very thin piece of wood? I have a fiberglass repair kit. Or should I try to do something else? The fiberglass body part is already dry. Would wet fiberglass stick to dry fiberglass?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are pics in a thread by PAS2Knut that is linked in "Commonly Asked Questions ........................... " stickied at the top of UTH. Unfortunately, the links are all screwed up. You might go there anyway and search threads by PA to find it.

Epoxy will work to stick fiberglass to wood. That's the stuff you mix the two components and sets in about 5 minutes.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:21 AM

Removing the rear bumper is very easy and pretty much stright forward especially compared to the front! If you know what your doing it only takes 10 to 15 minutes so 1/2 hour for a novice. Mostly push connectors except for the wheel wells. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM

This is a 5 minute job, but beware....the top edge on both the left and right sides of the bumper (from above the wheel arch to near the taillight) have three little cut-outs (about 3/4" long) which snap into a horizontal bracket. You have to pull the side "wings" outward to unsnap them. I can't see how anyone can fail to break at least one (or all three) of the 1/8" edges of these cutouts. If this happens, then when you put the bumper back on, the side piece will bulge out slightly because there is nothing (or very little) to hold the top edge(s) in line with the upper body. It almost looks like Honda have deliberately made the bumper like this so that if you ever take it off, you may have to buy a new bumper if you still want a perfect fit.

if you still want to go ahead and remove the bumper.....

Remove the Philips screw from underneath the front of each side wing (top of the rear wheel arch).
Remove clip from front edge of each side wing (located about half way down the front edge).
Pry up center of three clips located on top center ledge of bumper, near the trunk latch.
Pry up center of two clips located on bottom center ledge of bumper immediately below license surround.
GENTLY pull the side wings outwards until the top edges have unsnapped.
Slide complete bumper to the rear.
Install in reverse order of removal. Make sure the rear bumper engages the hooks (on the side wing and under the taillight) on each side securely.

(You may have to buy replacement clips if you damage any during the removal steps.)