S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing Immobilizer

Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Removing Immobilizer

I am sitting here with a box of 9 ecus and no way to have them rekeyed at a dealer because their equipment requires the ecu to be in a car before they can reprogram them.

These are all ecus destined for the Honda powered Lotus Super 7 clone called the Ultralite.
http://www.wcmultralite.com/

FYI an Ultralite just took 2nd in it's class at the One Lap of America and that was with missing 2 events due to a deteriorating fuel line. They came in 4th overall on the skid pad and pretty high in the overall standings. And that was with novice drivers, it is hard to argue with 5.5 lbs/hp!

I am positive I saw an edited post that said there was a way to bypass the immobilizer, but I can't find it when I search the archives.

I do remember that it was edited to keep the details out of the public's hands but I have a need for this info. Can anyone email the info to me rather than putting the gory details on the list?

nogood123@mac.com
Old 05-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on an RSX based racecar I crewed for we used a Hondata ECU which allowed us the option of disabling the immobilizer. That's all I've heard of on this and I'm not sure if they have a fully programmable ecu for AP1...

www.hondata.com
Old 05-09-2005, 12:52 PM

They don't show an option on their site but I emailed them.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:51 PM

Well I have talked to several people today and have confirmed there really is a way around it but so far no one is telling me how. They are worried about it getting out. I am too but in this case there is a legitimate need for this info. It will be used within the company and not disseminated to the public at large.

Anyone? Please!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Immobilizer is sacred ground. There is a way but you won't find it here. You need a face to face with a Honda Rep.....paper signing...etc.

Utah
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You won't find a DIY immobilizer bypass here. Not much of an anti-theft feature if you tell people how to bypass it.

You can install the entire immobilizer system in the WCM, and have the key programmed to start the car.

You'll need a Helm Electrical troubleshooting manual to identifty all the wiring bits you'll need to remove from a S2000 or fabricate.

www.helminc.com
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, there is no and will not be, a hondata flash for the S2000. our ECU's are not flash-able/programmable.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked this question a few years ago. I got a few responses from people who claimed there was a way but wouldnt tell me. Not all that helpful and I suspect they could have just been smart arses.

My donor car came without keys. I got assistance from a local honda dealer who used a car in their panel shop to program my ECU for a new pair of keys. They cut a chip less key for the surrogate car and taped the new keys back to back with the surrogate car key to program them in.

The last step of the programming requires starting of the car so you cant do with with just a simple programming loom.

I started up the donor engine fine with the car loom laid out around the engine before I started removing all the circuits I didnt need.

Good luck.

Chris.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:26 AM

Yes, we know how to install the complete system in the car and have been doing it for 2 years now, but that doesn't help with the 9 ecus. They are expensive junk if we can't find a way around the immobilizer.

I wasn't hoping someone would post the how-to to the forum, I was hoping someone would contact me direct @ nogood123@mac.com. You could even call me direct @ (469) 371-0226 or Brian @ (972) 227-7241.

We are not looking for a quickie "how to steal a car" but a permanent fix. We don't care if it takes wiring or something else. I know there is a sequence of events you can do when you get into the car to go to a diagnostic mode and that might help you steal a car, but that won't work in this instance because that would mean the owners would have to do that every time to start the car.

We have a legitimate need for a workaround and I know the solution exists. I have had it confirmed multiple times, but no one will tell me how to do it. That worries me. That tells me it is so simple as to render the immobilizer a useless toy and more of a PR piece than a true safeguard.

I want it to be hard or hardware because I want to safeguard my S but at the same time I need a way to make these ecus work. They aren't big and heavy enough to use a boat anchors.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well I'm going to lock this now, as you've asked the question and given a way to contact for response.

howver, don't be surprised if you never get a response.