S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing the Evaporator Core From the Blower Box

Old 02-01-2024, 06:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing the Evaporator Core From the Blower Box

I have been in the process of removing the A/C from my car as it sees only track use at this point. I had taken out the whole system inside the engine bay, and the only thing I had left was the evaporator core. I started digging through the forum on how to remove the core out of the blower box, but I could not find anything. So, here is my guide on how to remove the core from the box. First step is to get the box out of the passenger side dash. I started with disconnecting the battery (we are going to be taking the airbag out). I used this thread as a guide on how to get the box out:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-861492/page2/
I am writing this assuming you already have the a/c lines removed from the box/ evap core. There are other guides on how to get that out.
My goal for this was to remove all the A/C components while keeping the heater.
Here are some images of the exact location of the bolts the bolt on the top middle and right are a pain, but an extension and a wobbler took care of the top right pretty easily. The middle I had no luck at getting at it from under so I removed the airbag. I had the passenger seat out of the car it made it much easier to get on my back and look up under the dash.

Top Middle Blower Box Bolt. Easily Accessible once the airbag has been removed.

To remove the airbag you should have the battery disconnected. Unclip the two yellow clips out from the blue clip that should be in front of the blower box, and remove the three bolts holding it from the bottom. The last thing is you have to pry the trim piece in the dash out. I used a plastic trim remover to get under it and pop the clips out of the dash.

The airbag removed. Here is the clip that sits in front of the airbag that needs to be disconnected.

With the airbag removed the top middle nut should be easily accessible.

The three bolt locations on the bottom. These are pretty obvious. In addition to the drain tube that needs to be pulled out when pulling the box

Pictured at the top is the stud where the top right nut on the box goes.

Before you remove all the bolts/ nuts holding the box in, you need to disconnect 3 connections to the box/ blower motor. The one on the bottom of the blower motor is easy to see pull that one out right away. Next we need to pull out the box door motor connection and the temp sensor? (im not sure what the other one is) As seen here

The two motors that the connections need to be removed from. The one on the left has the yellowish plug going into it, and was crusty and required me to use some pliers to get it out. The one on the right has the green plug that goes in.

Yellow and green plug, and you can see the door harness that I unplugged because the box would not come out unless it was shoved back into the inner structure.

The connectors are all on the front of the box facing the passenger seat. I would highly recommend unplugging these before you drop the box. I learned that one the hard way. With all of that unplugged drop all the bolts/ nuts. It takes some finagling and rotation of the box to get it over the cat hump and out of the car. With it out now we can get to removing the evap core. With the box out, we need to remove the 15ish screws on the perimeter of the box

Then unscrew the 3 screw bolts holding the blower motor in on the bottom. This will come in handy later. With all of those out remove the sensor from the evap core it looks like this.

The box split in half

In order to remove the holders of the sensor, pinch and pull the plastic pieces out.

Next look inside the blower housing there are 3 screws in the white fan shroud plastic that are also holding the two halves together. I did not know this, and I Hulk ripped apart the white plastic inside box. I would use a little ratchet screw driver and reach up through the blower motor hole to get at the one close to the evap core. The other two should be pretty easy to get. I was able to glue it back together for the most part.

With all of that unscrewed. I used a utility knife to cut the foam on the seams of the box around the core, and expansion valve. With all of this done the box should pry apart. Remove the core from inside the box. It should all screw back together the same way it came apart. Here is what the core looks like removed from the box.

I put the box back together, and reinstalled it in the car. I also left the airbag out and wired in a 5 watt 2.2 ohm resistor into the harness connector to keep the SRS light off. If anyone wants me to write up how to remove the whole A/C system in detail/ how I wired in the resistor let me know. Also, free shameless plug I have a whole A/C system, Passenger air bag, OEM Exhaust Header, and Soft Top for sale. Let me know if you are interested. Feel free to ask questions. I will try to answer them the best I can.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jack Mazza:
azn akira (02-01-2024), esu2sen (06-21-2024), jnewtons2k (02-02-2024), KC2K (02-02-2024), noodels (02-01-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 03:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

would love a whole AC write up! just found out my '05's ac shat the bed and contemplating tackling this project myself. Everything looks pretty easy, with the exception of the evap core. Do you think you absolutely needed to remove the evap core, or was it "since i'm there" kind of thing?
The following users liked this post:
noodels (08-07-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 11:34 AM

You dont have to remove the core by any means. If you are refreshing the system. I gutted the whole thing because my car is a track car at this point. If you need any advice with taking out any of the pieces PM me and I can help point you in the right direction.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:36 AM

This is a good video on how to remove the pieces in the engine bay. I used this and some deductive reasoning to get everything else out.