S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing Clutch Pedal to replace grommets for clutch interlock switch

Old 07-18-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing Clutch Pedal to replace grommets for clutch interlock switch

So I'm trying to remove the clutch pedal and I got all 3 bolts unscrewed, but do I have to also remove the Clutch Master Cylinder? The CMC arm that goes through the back of the clutch pedal holder seems a little long and I'm kinda hesitant to pull the clutch pedal forward too much with all of the wires in front of it. I took the seat out and am able to lay down under the dash, but I couldn't find the hole the grommet goes into while under there.

Also is it recommended to use the same OEM Honda rubber grommets or have you guys tried to use something more durable and permanent?

Old 07-19-2022, 05:31 AM

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Not understanding. You need to disconnect the pedal from the clutch rod.

Remove pedal, cmc and rod stay in place.
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
Slowcrash_101 (07-19-2022), vspectra (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Not understanding. You need to disconnect the pedal from the clutch rod.

Remove pedal, cmc and rod stay in place.
Yeah I have the pedal and clutch rod disconnected. But I'm trying to move the back part of the clutch pedal (green arrow) forward through the clutch rod in order to remove it, but the front part of the clutch pedal (smaller red circle) keeps hitting the box in front of it (bigger red circle), so the clutch rod isn't able to fully get out of the back end of the clutch pedal. I tried pushing the CMC back a bit but it still wouldn't budge out. Is the front box (bigger red circle) this close as well for you guys? Tried putting the clutch pedal in different positions but still wasn't able to fully get the clutch rod out of the clutch pedal.

Removing Clutch Pedal to replace grommets for clutch interlock switch-whzzxqx.jpg
Old 07-19-2022, 02:43 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Why not unbolt the master from the engine bay, that would give you enough slack.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Why not unbolt the master from the engine bay, that would give you enough slack.
I replaced the CMC earlier this year and there aren't any bolts attaching it to the firewall on the engine bay side. There's just the clutch fluid line holding it in place once the clutch pedal bolts are removed, I can wiggle the CMC out a little bit but it still wasn't enough, and I don't wanna damage the master line. If I remove the whole CMC again I'll have to remove the clutch fluid, then refill and bleed the clutch line.

How did some of you guys even manage to replace the clutch pedal grommet without removing the clutch pedal. O_O
Old 07-20-2022, 12:55 AM

Received 414 Likes on 379 Posts

Looks like a non oem cmc ?my adjustment is not like your cmc, mine is 04 UK
Old 07-20-2022, 02:24 AM

You're talking about the plastic stopper for the clutch interlock? I never bothered, bypassed the clutch switch, wired it to a switch hidden in plain sight.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Looks like a non oem cmc ?my adjustment is not like your cmc, mine is 04 UK
guess they look different in US builds. I bought the new CMC from majestic Honda and it looks the same as the original one I replaced for my 05.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
You're talking about the plastic stopper for the clutch interlock? I never bothered, bypassed the clutch switch, wired it to a switch hidden in plain sight.
yeah my car wouldn’t crank and saw the plastic grommet pieces on the floor.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:31 PM

Just bypass it, it's honestly not worth the hassle.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:02 PM

Finally got that sucker out. Had to leave the back of the pedal sitting close against the firewall wile tilting the front piece down and scrape it against that black box to get it out of the way. Was the only way the pedal wouldn't get stuck up there.

Was trying to figure out how I could get the grommet in there without having to remove it all over again and tested all of the different openings to that hole but I have no idea. Have to really stretch my hand/fingers out to even touch that hole. Ended up just taping the grommet to the end of a wrench extension and push it in from the front.

The following 3 users liked this post by vspectra:
JWN6264 (07-28-2023), SeabeeCapt (07-28-2023), Slowcrash_101 (07-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Removing Clutch Pedal to replace grommets for clutch interlock switch