S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing all free play from clutch rod

Old 04-08-2021, 06:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I think my question belongs here. Would an excessive amount of play in the CMC rod cause the CMC to leak/fail?

I bought my S2 last year and I've been working on fixing all of the problems with the clutch. It has 100% new fluid. I did Billman's fluid flush a few times and eventually ended up doing a complete flush. The clutch certainly feels better now but the CMC is still leaking a little into the interior (although I think noticeably less than before the full flush). I adjusted the rod last night and took all of the play out, and am wondering if there's any chance my CMC might stop leaking. The rod was literally hanging down and pushing on the CMC piston at an angle, but now it's nice and tight.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:22 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

What causes cmc to leak is dirty fluid. That may eventually go away, but its possible it will never fully go away.

Dirty fluid causes uneven buildup on internal piston, which then allows fluid to leak as the uneven surface slides past the seal as clutch is activated.

Clean fluid might eventually work that buildup free, stopping the leak.

The secret is not to let fluid get dirty in the first place. Swap the reservoir fluid every other oil change. No need to swap while system. Just turkey baster reservoir, wipe clean with lint free paper towel. Then refill.

New fluid will mix with old each time clutch is pressed. Thus each time you swap reservoir fluid, you're keeping all tbe fluid clean.

When you do brake fluid swap, full swap clutch fluid too. Eventually even with the every other oil change reservoir swap, clutch fluid still builds up dirt, just at tremendously slower rate.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:23 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I doubt it. If it is leaking that should have been replaced before messing with anything else. And I would replace it soon, since that leaking fluid eats all paint it contacts with.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
What causes cmc to leak is dirty fluid. That may eventually go away, but its possible it will never fully go away.

Dirty fluid causes uneven buildup on internal piston, which then allows fluid to leak as the uneven surface slides past the seal as clutch is activated.

Clean fluid might eventually work that buildup free, stopping the leak.

The secret is not to let fluid get dirty in the first place. Swap the reservoir fluid every other oil change. No need to swap while system. Just turkey baster reservoir, wipe clean with lint free paper towel. Then refill.

New fluid will mix with old each time clutch is pressed. Thus each time you swap reservoir fluid, you're keeping all tbe fluid clean.

When you do brake fluid swap, full swap clutch fluid too. Eventually even with the every other oil change reservoir swap, clutch fluid still builds up dirt, just at tremendously slower rate.
I did the reservoir fluid change about 5 times before I finally flushed the whole system. I got the car last May and the fluid was filthy. After I did the full flush the clutch felt significantly better even though the fluid that came out looked clean
Old 04-08-2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I doubt it. If it is leaking that should have been replaced before messing with anything else. And I would replace it soon, since that leaking fluid eats all paint it contacts with.
Luckily it's only leaking onto the carpet. Although even if it was leaking outside it wouldn't really matter cause the paint in the bay under the CMC and BMC is already ****ed. The paint on the brake booster under the BMC is also ****ed which leads me to believe the BMC was replaced at some point.

It bothers me a little that the previous owners weren't really careful with upkeep, but I got a good deal on the car and for the most part it is in sound mechanical shape so overall I'm happy with it.