S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Reducing Drone

Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Drone

I just installed a T1R 70R-EM Sparrow dual exhaust on my00. I had seen some videos and read many reviews, and from what I gathered the 70r had no drone, and was a 'mild' exhaust with a deep tone.

after installing it, WTF MAN

the drone is incredible, its overwhelming. its like wearing two twelve inch subs as headphones. the sound is good, and deep, but after only a 20 minute drive my ears are ringing and i have a slight headache.

my question is, is there any way to reduce drone? perhaps some kind of soundproofing or silencers? I really need a solution fast or im gonna be installing my oem exhaust again
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

read this post by Swift GT, what he essentially did is line the entire trunk area where the spare tire sits with some kind of material similar to dynamat. He said the drone was almost completely eliminated. The stuff was pretty cheap as well! Heres the link

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/831.../page__st__150
Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Hahah, came across this thread by chance...

I just completed my B-Quiet treatment on my car by doing the driver's side the other day. Didn't make nearly as big of a difference in drone as the trunk or passenger side did but it definitely reduced road noise quite a bit further, I now have almost zero road/tire noise. I wouldn't say that drone was almost completely eliminated, but what the sound deadning does is reduce the intensity of the droning to what I'd say are quite tolerable levels. My car is still not similar to any stock performance cars I've heard, but my dad came in the car today and commented that it was a huge difference from when he last went in the car and a normal conversation is actually possible...

Also keep in mind that if you bought the exhaust new it will get a quieter over the first 1,000 or more miles. When I first got mine I was in the same boat, I thought I'd go deaf, but after break-in it was a bit better and after the sound deadening it is quite daily drivable and not completely embarrassing when driving people
Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting, I had considered getting one as well. Do you have a testpipe?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM

thanks for the links and info, maybe ill try that before I go and get rid of the exhaust...

and no test pipe, still running stock cat and jvt header. i bought the exhaust used with about 10k on it so no hope in it getting any quieter from break in
Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll save you a lot of misery and headache and tell you just to get a different exhaust. You made a mistake, plain and simple. There are only a small number of aftermarket exhausts for this car which are tolerable for most people. Most of the others are incredibly loud - and for only very small horsepower gains. I have the Invidia Q300 and pared with an intake and exhaust it is pretty loud. My girlfriend made the comment the other day "it sounds like you're going faster than you really are". Ouch.

That said, the drone qualities of the exhaust improved when I went from a stock cat to a high flow cat. During partial throttle it was quieter all around. However on very heavy throttle, it was louder than the stock cat. When just cruising lightly, it's actually quite pleasant now. However give it any sort of gas and everyone is going to know you're there.

A higher flow piece in place of the stock cat will improve drone slightly, but only make the entire exhaust louder in the end. If you don't like it now, my suggestion would be just to cut your loses and get another exhaust. The longer you wait the less the thing will be worth and the more miserable you will be trying to deal with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I'll save you a lot of misery and headache and tell you just to get a different exhaust. You made a mistake, plain and simple. There are only a small number of aftermarket exhausts for this car which are tolerable for most people. Most of the others are incredibly loud - and for only very small horsepower gains. I have the Invidia Q300 and pared with an intake and exhaust it is pretty loud. My girlfriend made the comment the other day "it sounds like you're going faster than you really are". Ouch.

That said, the drone qualities of the exhaust improved when I went from a stock cat to a high flow cat. During partial throttle it was quieter all around. However on very heavy throttle, it was louder than the stock cat. When just cruising lightly, it's actually quite pleasant now. However give it any sort of gas and everyone is going to know you're there.

A higher flow piece in place of the stock cat will improve drone slightly, but only make the entire exhaust louder in the end. If you don't like it now, my suggestion would be just to cut your loses and get another exhaust. The longer you wait the less the thing will be worth and the more miserable you will be trying to deal with it.

yeah good point. I dont mind an exhaust being loud, as long as is doesnt reverberate into the cab. if i was looking for an aftermarket exhaust, slightly louder than stock at low rpms, and louder through vtec and isnt too raspy, what would you guys suggest?

I cant even judge by youtube videos anymore.. from the ones i saw with the 70rem, I was under the impression that it wasnt very loud.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you have much choice. You either return to stock or apply the sound deadning material as described above. All Aftermarket exhaust systems will introduce some level of drone and it seems to be a price that many people are willing to pay to escape the relatively unexciting sound of stock. There are many posts on these boards concerning AM exhausts and some seem to be quitier than others but are still described as introducing "drone" by many.
If you like your T1R, I suggest you give yourself a chance to become acclimated to the sound. In a week or two you may decide you actually like it. If not, return to stock or go for the sound deadning.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Buy 70mm exhaust for extra 5 hp.
Add 40 pounds of dynamat to fix drone.
???
Profit.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Buy 70mm exhaust for extra 5 hp.Add 40 pounds of dynamat to fix drone.???Profit.

Quick Reply: Reducing Drone