S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Redline MT-85 tranny fluid

Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Not sure why you want such thick oil in the transmission. Honda states:
If Honda MTF is not available, you
may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40
viscosity motor oil with the API
Certification seal that says ‘‘FOR
GASOLINE ENGINES’’ as a
temporary replacement.
but would they know?...

-- Chuck
Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
Even if you drove it in 20*F weather, the tranny will warm up pretty fast. So just take it easy for the first few miles, I don't know anyone that just starts their car and drops the hammer then speed shifts all the gears.

ROD

Yea, I don't either lol..

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Not sure why you want such thick oil in the transmission. Honda states:
If Honda MTF is not available, you
may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40
viscosity motor oil with the API
Certification seal that says ‘‘FOR
GASOLINE ENGINES’’ as a
temporary replacement.
but would they know?...

-- Chuck

Honda's MTF is garbage in my opinion. I ran it in my Accord 5-speed, and a week later the bearings were making noise and it shifted like complete crap. Put GM synchomesh friction modified and it was very much improved afterwords. Maybe on a brand new car it works well, I don't know. But like I said, I'll post back tomorrow and let you know the results for my particular car.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Not sure why you want such thick oil in the transmission. Honda states: but would they know?... -- Chuck
Gear oil viscosity is different from motor oil viscosity

[attachment=75681::]

[attachment=75682::]
Attached Thumbnails Redline MT-85 tranny fluid-image-1215840949.jpg   Redline MT-85 tranny fluid-image-2680472009.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Definitely some good information. Thanks for posting that
Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had extra MT-90 once and called Redline to ask about this fluid in our tranny. He told me it was too thick for our transmission and advised me what I could do is fill the first QT with MTL and top it off with MT-90. I think that was before MT-85 was offered as I don't recall that being an option at the time.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I've been using MT-85 in my car for about a year. It was a little notchy until after a couple track days, but is smooth now... And I'll be changing it with more MT-85 before track season this year. I might add a small amount of MTL when I replace this time.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:37 AM

Update after driving it this morning to work in 38 degree temps...pretty good so far! It shifts pretty well so far, better than it did when I picked the car up a few weeks ago.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I'd like to try Redline MTL, I've always had good luck with it.

When you change fluid like this it sometimes takes a couple weeks of use to get it to settle to a homogeneous state. The new fluid will have to mix with the old fluid and plate up on the metal surfaces, after a bit of use the fluid viscosity and additive mix tends to arrive at a happy place. You may find better results with use.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION

When you change fluid like this it sometimes takes a couple weeks of use to get it to settle to a homogeneous state. The new fluid will have to mix with the old fluid and plate up on the metal surfaces, after a bit of use the fluid viscosity and additive mix tends to arrive at a happy place. You may find better results with use.
+1. I always found with any tranny fluid change, even keeping the same brand of fluid, that it takes a few weeks/few hundred miles before it feels its "best." I attribute this to the new fluid working its way into the pores of the metal and flushing out the old stuff.

Personally, I've used the original Honda mtf, the newer green Honda mtf, Redline MTL, and GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier. GMSMFM is by far the best feeling I've ever had, but I change it about every other oil change to keep it feeling good. Seems to break down quite quickly. That's all I use anymore. Redline MTL definitely felt better than either of the Honda products, with the green one feeling the worst.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1426882753' post='23548434

+1. I always found with any tranny fluid change, even keeping the same brand of fluid, that it takes a few weeks/few hundred miles before it feels its "best." I attribute this to the new fluid working its way into the pores of the metal and flushing out the old stuff.

Personally, I've used the original Honda mtf, the newer green Honda mtf, Redline MTL, and GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier. GMSMFM is by far the best feeling I've ever had, but I change it about every other oil change to keep it feeling good. Seems to break down quite quickly. That's all I use anymore. Redline MTL definitely felt better than either of the Honda products, with the green one feeling the worst.

After driving the car throughout the day getting up to temperatures of 63 degrees, the MT-85 made a very noticeable, positive difference over whatever the car had in it before. I have also used Honda mtf and GM Seyncromesh with FM. The GM product has felt the best to me also in use of other Hondas. I was thinking about running it in this car but thought it might be too thin given the amount of miles and unknown wear. I am pleased with the MT-85 thus far though, and Ive only driven about 100 miles on it so far.