S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Redefogger harness question with izzy hardtop brackets

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Redefogger harness question with izzy hardtop brackets

so i have a 2002 ap1 s2000.

i have a OEM honda factory hardtop with the OEM rear glass in tact that has the defogger.

i purchased the REAR izzy bolt down style of brackets because i didnt want to deal with theft issues as well as rattling of the top.

PROBLEM:

- the problem i am running into now is that the OEM catchers (the driver side) one has a plug that plugs into the OEM rear defogger harness.
- being that i do not have the OEM hardward to mount the rear of the OEM top down, my OEM defogger harness has a blank plug.
- i tried turning on the rear de fogger ON with the plug (that is supposed to go into the OEM catcher) UNPLUGED and got nothing, or no feedback.

QUESTION(s):

1) has anyone successfully gotten their OEM top rear defogger to work, using the OEM harness, and izzy style of bolt down brackets?

2) is the plug from the OEM catcher in essence a loop to continue the circuit?

3) is there any way i can by pass the OEM catcher's plug by making a pigtail of my own? (i.e. making a loop of wire and complete the circuit?)

pictures of what im talking about.

any help is appreciated, as i dont like half assing anything with my car and to have all of its features fully functional in the event that i may need it.

here is the plug in question that i do not have because of my REAR izzy brackets: (its the one on the left)

here are the brackets i am using:

and here is my left over plug from the OEM honda rear defogger harness:

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM

TTT for some input
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sure it should still work. That wire off of the oem bracket is a soft top lock out so the top wont go up if you accidentally hit the switch. Does the defroster currently work with everything hooked up correctly? Any reason you want to go to the Izzy brackets?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by slowd16
Pretty sure it should still work. That wire off of the oem bracket is a soft top lock out so the top wont go up if you accidentally hit the switch. Does the defroster currently work with everything hooked up correctly? Any reason you want to go to the Izzy brackets?
I didn't want to deal with the rattling etc associated with the oem brackets bro, and I was missing the bottom catchers because the guy sold the car.

The feels more solid with the fixed mounts in my opinion, and all of the rattles have been zeroed out.

How can I check it's functionality? Last time my rear window fogged up and I tried switching it on I didn't get any feedback it was working to my knowledge

Is there anything else I can check? And when my soft top was on the defogger functioned perfectly.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the inside of the driver-side side catcher (the one with the defroster wiring harness). There is a small tab on the top of the catcher that is depressed by the hardtop when installed. This, in turn, lowers a latch that's attached to the wiring harness inside the catcher creating a closed circuit, allowing for the defroster to work.

HARDTOP OFF (defroster disabled)

HARDTOP ON (defroster enabled)

Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The switch on the hardtop hardware not only locks out the soft top from being able to be used but also signals what defroster to use when you turn the defroster switch on. (The soft top or the hard top).

Id imagine if you no longer have a soft top you can hardwire it someway. If not id think you could have a toggle switch somewhere instead?? anyways, thats just my thoughts.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mirabileboy
Here is the inside of the driver-side side catcher (the one with the defroster wiring harness). There is a small tab on the top of the catcher that is depressed by the hardtop when installed. This, in turn, lowers a latch that's attached to the wiring harness inside the catcher creating a closed circuit, allowing for the defroster to work.

HARDTOP OFF (defroster disabled)

HARDTOP ON (defroster enabled)

Thank you so much bro!! That was the info I was looking for! Now that I know it's somewhat of a loop / to complete the circuit I can go from there.

Thanks so much and I really appreciate your help!!! :-D
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha no problem! Glad to help!