S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Red oil light comes on during hard braking?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sensitive to oil? YFKM Please close this thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is there something I can do to stop the engine from burning so much oil or is my only resolve is to check the oil level and top it off??
Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by badboy00z,Dec 2 2010, 04:38 AM
So is there something I can do to stop the engine from burning so much oil or is my only resolve is to check the oil level and top it off??
There are some fixes that work for some people, but nothing that's a sure solution. I'd just recommend that you start checking your oil at least every other fill up, and top off as needed. It takes minimal time/effort.

I hope your engine ends up being ok. There really isn't any safe amount of oil starvation. As soon as that light comes on, even if just for a second, you're flirting with disaster.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 AM

I check my oil about every other time I get in the car. Call it OCD but I want to know:

1) Is there enough oil in the engine?
2) If the engine is consuming oil, I want to know how fast so I can predict when I'll have to add or maybe try some other oil if the one I'm using seems to be consumed too quickly.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI, the oil light is connected to the oil pressure switch. It illuminates when there is very low or no oil pressure. Without pressure, you will get a great deal of metal-to metal wear on your bearings and cylinder walls.

If it's coming on even briefly, there is engine damage. The question is how much. Keep in mind that if your oil is that low, you are likely getting reduced oil flow far more often but it's not low enough to turn the light on. Oil will flow through the path of least resistance. That means that even if your light is off you can be doing some damage.

As a rule, if your oil light comes on you should immediately turn your engine off. If you can't get oil into the engine, you should tow your car to be serviced.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dipstick has oil at the 2 X from the bottom how much oil do I need to top it off??

I recently changed the oil and it's already burnt that much oil...it's going to be expensive to just top it off.

What can I do to reduce the amount of oil that it burns??
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by badboy00z,Dec 23 2010, 03:59 AM
If the dipstick has oil at the 2 X from the bottom how much oil do I need to top it off??

I recently changed the oil and it's already burnt that much oil...it's going to be expensive to just top it off.

What can I do to reduce the amount of oil that it burns??
How is it expensive to top off? Are you doing it yourself? Just get a 5 quart jug of cheap synthetic blend from Wal Mart. One quart of oil will bring you from the low mark (no Xs) to the high mark on the dipstick. You can reduce the amount of oil you consume by installing a vented catch can system.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haywoodjablome,Aug 21 2010, 03:52 PM
So ......... You see the oil light come on (more than just once). You suspect it might be low on oil and you suspect you should check the dipstick but instead of just going ahead and checking the dipstick, you ask on a forum if others think you are low on oil and ask if it should checked. Somehow the word "dipstick" keeps rising to the surface.
Post of the week
Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This same thing happened to me about 6 months ago (light went on for a sec when braking hard). I drove to gas station (~2 miles) and filled with oil. Since then I have been checking oil more constantly and topping off regularly. This cars burn oil like crazy. There is nothing really that can be done about that, its just like having a high maintenance girlfriend; you eithre love it or leave it.

About my low oil incident... I have been worried that I did some damage to the engine, as someone mentioned that the engine can blow months after the incident. It has been six months since it happened to me. Is there a test that I can do to see if my engine is a ticking bomb? Pressure tests or something of that sort?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by DanielZan,Dec 23 2010, 11:49 AM
This same thing happened to me about 6 months ago (light went on for a sec when braking hard)....

About my low oil incident... I have been worried that I did some damage to the engine, as someone mentioned that the engine can blow months after the incident. It has been six months since it happened to me. Is there a test that I can do to see if my engine is a ticking bomb? Pressure tests or something of that sort?
Same thing to me too. Saw the oil pressure light turned on for a second and found out it's low on oil afterwards. Is the engine going to have problem later on?

Billman250 said he put 6th engine on s2k. Are those engines blown because empty on oil or engines blown some time after the engine has been low on oil before?

I'm worried after seeing this thread. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Red oil light comes on during hard braking?