S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Red oil light comes on during hard braking?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just comes on for a split second and then goes away and doesn't make any strange noise or blow smoke. I've had the car for a little over a year and it's the first time it's happened.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

honestly, I would not even start up that car. I'd add some dino oil to that engine so I could limp it to whoever is going to do that oil change. Dino oil beats a dry running engine by light years.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not like the oil light stays on for a long period of time guys. Now if it had stayed on I would be REALLY worried.

I've already got the oil change this morning.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Doesn't have to stay on. Takes 1 second to blow the engine. So just start hoping you got lucky and that it won't blow on you in the bearish future from that.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What oil are you running?

back in the day (like 97 or 98) I had a friend with an older preowned Nissan (a sentra I think or maybe an Altima) who had this problem. He was a diy maintenance guy so he did all of his own work on the car. He put in the oil viscosity that was labled on the oil fill cap (I think is said 0w30 or some weird lighter viscosity) and this would happen to him when the car was pitching from decently heavy braking, or climbing a steep hill. He would always check the oil level and it was fine.

He finally broke down and took it to a dealership near his work and they called and asked him why his oil cap said Xw30 when the car required 10w30 (or something along those lines). So apparently the sensor that tells that light to come on was very sensitive and the lighter oil would slosh on or off the sensor more easily than the correct viscosity. They dumped the lighter stuff and put in the correct viscosity and it was fine.

They also put on the correct oil cap for him and gave him back the odd one. He did some research and it looked like the previous owner put some odd duck oil cap on the car at some point.

Now I have run different viscosities than OEM spec in some of my cars and never had this problem but I only run 10w30 in my S so I am not sure if the S2000's sensors are that sensitive or not, but just something to check.

Also I am not suggesting that you do not maintain your car correctly, it is just something else that I was thinking could contribute to that issue occuring.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPosey,Aug 24 2010, 06:09 AM
He finally broke down and took it to a dealership near his work and they called and asked him why his oil cap said Xw30 when the car required 10w30 (or something along those lines). So apparently the sensor that tells that light to come on was very sensitive and the lighter oil would slosh on or off the sensor more easily than the correct viscosity. They dumped the lighter stuff and put in the correct viscosity and it was fine.

They also put on the correct oil cap for him and gave him back the odd one. He did some research and it looked like the previous owner put some odd duck oil cap on the car at some point.
Any car designed to run 10w30 will do fine with 0w30. When warmed up, they're both 30 weight oils.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

^Yeah I don't think that was actually the guys issue. Probably coincidence there..
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy everybody...

It was some odd, far off combo that really wouldn't have worked. It was so long ago I just threw some viscosities in there for an example. But it also taught him and I to always check the manual and not just fill with what is on the oil fill cap.

I also have never seen another car that was that sensitive to it, but once they put the right oil in there, the problem went away and he drove the car for years trouble free after the incident and sold it in perfect running shape.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 205 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by haywoodjablome,Aug 21 2010, 04:52 PM
So ......... You see the oil light come on (more than just once). You suspect it might be low on oil and you suspect you should check the dipstick but instead of just going ahead and checking the dipstick, you ask on a forum if others think you are low on oil and ask if it should checked. Somehow the word "dipstick" keeps rising to the surface.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by badboy00z,Aug 21 2010, 10:56 PM
It's not like the oil light stays on for a long period of time guys. Now if it had stayed on I would be REALLY worried.

I've already got the oil change this morning.
the cars revs to 9k, takes about a second to go boom!

Quick Reply: Red oil light comes on during hard braking?