S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Recomend a floor jack

Old 07-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomend a floor jack

There are so many out there, what's the best/good floor jack for use with the s2000?

I searched but most threads are over a year old and quite confusing
Old 07-16-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kelvin, what are the constraints? Does it have to be light? Does it have to be cheap? Is the car lowered?

There is a really nice looking long/low jack out there (I forget the brand) that will reach all the way in to the center front jacking point. That's ideal, but it's not cheap or light.

Many of us who want a portable jack use one of the various "aluminum racing jacks" available from Harbor Freight and elsewhere. These won't reach the front jacking point, though, unless you run the car up on 2x6s.

I happen to have two jacks, the Harbor Freight one and a standard 3-ton jack like you might buy at at any aut parts store. I end up slipping the HF jack under the diff, jacking it up, and putting jackstands under the rear side rail hard points. Then I use the 3-ton jack under a front siderail point, enough to be able to get the HF jack under the front center jack point. Then I jack up the front, pull out the 3-ton jack, and settle the car onto the front side rail points.

I use the HF jack at the track, making do.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a lift, if I can afford one.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One that is low enough to get underneath the car.
The front is the lowest I think.
Yet it should be able to raise the car high enough for a jack stand to go underneath.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:00 PM

There is a few low profile trolley jacks on ebay.. i think in the closed position is 70mm high.. thats the lowest one ive seen so far..
Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 PM

the harbor freight aluminum jack doesnt reach the front jacking point? weak!

how about the craftsman aluminum 1.5 jack?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The AC DK13HLQ if it is in your budget..

http://www.automotivetools.com/cgi-local/S....html?E+scstore
Old 07-16-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 16 2006, 06:51 PM
Many of us who want a portable jack use one of the various "aluminum racing jacks" available from Harbor Freight and elsewhere. These won't reach the front jacking point, though, unless you run the car up on 2x6s.
Mike - do you have a lip?
I ask because I have the smaller Harbor Freight jack and I can reach the front jacking point without ramps/2x6s

The DK13HLQ has awesome specs but is probably overkill for personal use. At 84.7 lbs it's not something you just throw in the trunk and take to the track either.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveOnLI,Jul 16 2006, 06:28 PM
Mike - do you have a lip?
I ask because I have the smaller Harbor Freight jack and I can reach the front jacking point without ramps/2x6s

The DK13HLQ has awesome specs but is probably overkill for personal use. At 84.7 lbs it's not something you just throw in the trunk and take to the track either.
Yeah, that's the jack I was referring to. I don't own it because I can get by with what I do own, and at $500 I might as well just save up a little more money and start shopping for lifts.

My car is not lowered and has no lip. My HF jack actually will reach the front jack point with the car on the ground, but there is no room to lift the handle up and start jacking.

There are about 20 different styles of those "US General" aluminum jacks that HF sells; maybe yours is different than mine.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 AM

I have a craftsman low profile jack.

looks just like the one here. I effing love it, even though I do have to bleed the air out every couple months.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:03 AM

^^ i think i found the reason why mine wont jack properly sometimes. I need to take out the air

Quick Reply: Recomend a floor jack