S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Recent Oil change

Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent Oil change

sorry for being long winded

Last night I decided to take on the task of changing out my 08 S2k oil for the first time as per Maintenance Reminder. My car just hit 7011 miles on the clock. So I proceded to do a search on how to do it and got all the nitty gritty info needed to perform the job correctly. I am not a newb at doing maintenance on cars. I have been doing most of my basic maintenance since 1991 on Ford's, VW, Acura's and Honda's with no major issues. Currently I have the s2k and four cars that I have always used an oil extractor (PELA 6000 Oil Extractor) to drain the oil through the dipstick when I do the filter and oil change with no issues at all.

Obviously, I had never used it on the S2k until last night. I proceded to remove the dipstick and insert thin extractor hose and the hose inserted into hole with some mild resistance compare to the other cars but went down all the way to the oil pan. I began to creat suction and everything was flowing well until I extracted about 3 qts of the oil out, but for some reason the unit began to lose contact with the oil and was not sucking any more so I decided to push some more hose into the hole but could not re-establish the strong suction so I decided to remove the hose out of the hole and when pulling I encounter more than the usual resistance on hose but Iwas still able to pull it out, but I notice that about 1.5 ft of the hose protective rubber casing was like shaved off from the house exposing the flexible metal tube, but the pieces were still hanging on to the hose. This has never happened in the Fit, Odyssey, CL and RSX.

I just want to know if any other member here has ever used an extractor on the S and had this happen?. I was concern about any possible rubber shaving in the engine but the engine ran smooth after the oil/filter change. I also re-position the hanging rubber shaving back to it's original place to determine if any rubber was missing but none was. It seem that whatever sliced the rubber made a clean shave. Can anyone confirm my experience because I have been using this extractor stuff since 1998 on different cars with nothing similar like this. However this will be the last time I use the extractor on the S ( no chances to screw up the engine) and will do the oil cahnge the old fashion way by relasing drain bolt. BTW it is not that difficult to reach the drain bolt from the top. I did not have to jack the car up or use jack stand like so people recommend.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Your car probably has a dipstick tube that wasn't cleaned off after being cut. It probably caught a sharp burr or something on the way back up. Either way, you should definitely use the drain bolt instead. The drain bolt can be accessed from the top if you really dont want to lift the car.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM

you can see the tube there... nothing to catch it on the way out unless you purchased an S with a baffle.

er upon closer inspection maybe it was the windage tray that scraped your tube.. hm
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Not had this problem and always thought this way was more work than it's worth. Sorry. Switch to regular oil drain/fills
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why do people make life so much harder then it needs to be?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Just having worked on my oil jet bolt issue and installing a baffled oil pan, I can tell you that the edges of the windage tray are very sharp. I sliced a couple knuckles and fingers during the removal and install and I barely touched the thing, sliced right through some vinyl protective gloves. You likely don't have a windage tray on the other Honda vehicles like the one that is on the S2000. I am almost positive that is the culprit that cut your pipe.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Just having worked on my oil jet bolt issue and installing a baffled oil pan, I can tell you that the edges of the windage tray are very sharp. I sliced a couple knuckles and fingers during the removal and install and I barely touched the thing, sliced right through some vinyl protective gloves. You likely don't have a windage tray on the other Honda vehicles like the one that is on the S2000. I am almost positive that is the culprit that cut your pipe.

MOST to all honda engines I've taken apart (and its been alot lol) Always have a windage tray and there usually pretty damn sharp. I've had my share of cuts on the hands from removal and install. I was going to say it was the windage tray that probably cut ur tube but its already shown up top.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 AM

As mentioned, the tube probably just caught a sharp edge. It is VERY easy to change the oil on the s2000, many people do it without even lifting the front end of the car... so I just don't see it being worth using an oil extractor. On a side note, are you really saying this is the first oil change in 3+ years on your 2008 s2000? I know you were within the mileage range of the oil change, but I would not want to leave the same oil in my engine for 3 years...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM

ikeyballz

I see the dipstick going through the baffle. I am guessing that is what cause the shavings on the flexible tube.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
On a side note, are you really saying this is the first oil change in 3+ years on your 2008 s2000? I know you were within the mileage range of the oil change, but I would not want to leave the same oil in my engine for 3 years...
well its an 08 but purchased in 4/09 with 118 miles on it. The car is not my daily driver. I mostly use it to go out with wife and special events. No short trips. So its more like two yrs since date of purchase. I am not sure if the dealer changed out the oil when it was sitting on their lot from 08 to 09 when I bought it. Obviously, my car is not abused or reved aggressively for no reason.

Quick Reply: Recent Oil change