S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

REBUILDING MY F20C

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Agreed 100%
On the fact that OEM rebuild is better?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by elna9ry
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1430395842' post='23596494
Agreed 100%
On the fact that OEM rebuild is better?
I am pretty sure Billman will agree non-rebuilt OEM is better.

I won't go into long explanations because the search button can tell you all you need to know. These engines do not rebuild well, I can't tell you how many threads I have seen of guys just like you, who take an engine to the "best Honda motor shop" and just ends in failure. I would take a use motor that I knew was well maintained over a fresh rebuilt. I would most certainly take a new bottom end over ANY rebuild regardless who did it (not knocking any of you couple guy in the U.S. who can actually rebuild these things).

At the end of the day the best explanation I can give is that Honda just did a damn good job on these engines!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Yes. The amount of aftermarket shortcomings for this engine is through the roof.

Just last week I dealt with a guy with a built head. The valves will not hold there shape and hardness, and the valves are constantly going out of adjustment. This is one of the top valve makers according to NOTHING BUT RUMOR.

I wish you well....as of now, there is not one single engine part that I have personally dealt with in existence that can beat oem reliabily and longevity.

Hopefully an aftermarket engine internals thread winners will emerge someday.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Billman is right there.. There are a lot of marginal parts out there, there are also a lot of oem parts that could use improvement.

Valves especially.. I am a huge fan of OEM valves, typically the only time we recommend a change is for a turbo motor over 800hp

I dont like stock ap2 rods.. Seen one too many come out of the block at high rpm.

I don't like stock valve springs. An extra 15-20 lbs on the seat helps a lot.

Stock pistons are awesome. 06+ pistons rigs are awesome. Pretty much everything else is awesome. The main reason we sleeve blocks and use wiseco pistons is to fix a screwed up block or to lower compression.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 AM

I wish you well....as of now, there is not one single engine part that I have personally dealt with in existence that can beat oem reliabily and longevity.

What about your TCT?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 AM

Yes. The amount of aftermarket shortcomings for this engine is through the roof.

Just last week I dealt with a guy with a built head. The valves will not hold there shape and hardness, and the valves are constantly going out of adjustment. This is one of the top valve makers according to NOTHING BUT RUMOR.

Hopefully an aftermarket engine internals thread winners will emerge someday.
So do you recommend that I buy all OEM parts and fix them?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 AM

With what your describing I think your best bet is to find a used engine that seems well maintained (you could do used bottom end, but whole engines seem more plentiful). If you can't go larger than 2.0 L then a new block isn't an option as all you can get is an 08+ or I would recommend that route with your budget. If you damaged the cylinder walls I would just scrap the block.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 AM

I actually ran across a 02 engine with 8k on it in MI not sure if it is still around or where your located though.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't think it's actually the parts that are the issue for reliability (theres many high quality aftermarket parts, and of course oem is always really good too, if not the best quality). Imo it's the actual rebuild process. I too have known many people that had their engines rebuilt by very reputable rebuilders, only to have a spun bearing, rod knock, seized engine or blown motor a couple weeks, months or a few years later out of nowhere and after they thought they had a perfect running engine (obviously short of the 200-300k miles oem engines are getting). Nothing will beat a brand new crate engine from and built by Honda. It will be built with precision, by highly experienced people that have built hundreds of them and/or by precision robots.

If I were you, I would just buy a brand spanking new fresh engine from Honda. Maybe an F22 block if you want more torque. Then sell off your current broken engine as parts.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 AM

All you can get is the 2.2 stuff anymore.

Quick Reply: REBUILDING MY F20C