S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rebuilding motor

Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People SC and Turbo with the existing compression ratio. Why reduce it? I read an article once about low compression/high boost versus high compression/low boost. It made the point that drivability was better with the high compression motor.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

well.. from what I heard is.. you can get better power and more boost with a lower compression motor than a high compression motor.. Am I wrong??
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have a less accurate tune on lower compression ratio but you would need more boost to make the same power. There are a few variables that play into it that I won't get into in this thread.

Sounds to me like you also experienced detonation "when the motor won't go any faster with throttle open".

I filed a formal complaint to Honda North America. It's been two weeks and I still don't have an answer on whether Honda will cover the cost to repair the motor. I was given a Dodge Neon rental car for a week (WTF Honda too good to give me at least a Civic?). Now I don't even have a rental at all. I'm loosing hours at work because I'm sharing a car with my parents and need to come in late and leave work early.

This whole experience has been a disaster. Just because I purchased a vehicle that had aftermarket plugs installed. Do I need to tear the car apart to ensure it is completely stock before buying the thing?

The factory plugs recommended by Honda are NGK or Denso platinum. Why would they make a fuss over Denso Iridium plugs?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Ek9
Banned

I'm not exactly sure why you'd expect them to cover it. You had a non-stock part that broke and killed the motor. It does make me worry though. I think I'll order a set of stock plugs to put back in my R.

Hondacare has denied people for alot less so, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If I was honda care and saw this come in, I'd deny it.

If anything I'd think you'd want to have a chat with Denso about footing the bill. If Billman says this is a common occurance, they may have some under the table settlement thing going on. Can't hurt to check. I remember back in the 70's Honda was replacing civic trannies for free if you kept your mouth shut about how crappy they were.

I've got to say, you talking about upgrading the motor sounds like a fantasy now that I see that it's your Daily Driver. Never hop up the daily driver. It's a lesson everyone learns eventually.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the car used with the plugs in the car already. THAT is why I want Honda to cover it.

I got to the point of trading the s2k in for a Fit. I still dunno what I'm going to do
Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Ek9
Banned

So you bought it from a honda dealer then? Maybe I missed it but, I didn't see that on the first page.

Most warranties of any kind, I don't care who supplies them won't cover "damage". If someone runs into you and damages the tranny for instance or if something flies up and hits your windshield or even if you run it without oil, you're out of luck and they won't cover it. If you got a rod knock for instance or the ECU crapped out, that's normally warrantable (as long as there's no signs of abuse). I don't imagine the Clutch is normally covered. It's a wear item like tires and brakes. I'd describe your problem as "damage" a non-stock part in the motor broke and took the rest of the motor with it.

Wonder what you can get on trade-in for an S2K with a broken motor? Probably not that much. 2002's worth, 17-19K in good shape depending on mileage. Probably knock off 2-6K for a motor.

Well, if you looking for advice... give up on hondacare, install a long-block and start driving the '2k.

You really should talk to Denso. It's their crap that screwed up your motor. It's not Honda's fault really in any way.