S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rearend gear break in procedure

Old 04-29-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcarlton
Road Rage! You are all over it. You must have a serious engineering background.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I wish I had known all this. I got my gears done at Ganley Honda in Ohio, who Rick's recommends. He told me today that the whine was the combo of the gears and the KAAZ LSD. Now I know it is the gears. I did all the breakin proceedure that Rick recommended. Still the noise. I will drive it for awhile and see what happens. Ganley Honda told me of a guy that has my setup and the noise has subsided a lot. I hope that will be my case.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

The 4.57s whine a bit becasue the are performance gears made by the best performance gear manfacturer in the country, Richmond. Quiet is not a goal, performance and durability are the priorities.

The stock gears, and all other ratios were not made for the S2000, but for Mazdas and Kias. They are for the normal passenger car market, where quiet is everything. Man, if you want quiet, I think you bought the wrong car.

Damned that engine is loud! And the wind noise at speed is too much to bear And even the tranny makes lots of noises Why didn't Honda properly soundproof this car? Just consider the modest gear whine another instrument in the orchestra of mechanical music played by this car.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 'whine' needs to be quantified.
ie.
1) is it RPM dependent?
2) is it gear dependent?
3) is it speed dependent?
4) is it throttle dependent?

Mine whine just a little sub 5K. 5-6K at partial throttle it sounds like a rattling in the drivetrain. The whine is audible in 5th and 6th only.

It was so loud that I was concerned lugs weren't on properly (they were), a wheel was off center (they weren't), a hub is damaged/worn (no indication), CV's are damaged (no indication), axles are responsible (find out tomorrow).

I am going to see the installer tomorrow for his 2 cents. Hopefully it is a minor detail that I have overlooked.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
The 4.57s whine a bit becasue the are performance gears made by the best performance gear manfacturer in the country, Richmond.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:04 PM

You guys whine too much
Old 04-30-2004, 06:26 AM

My main concern about the whine was that there was something wrong with the gear setup. Now that I know that's not it, I'm not worried.

I don't understand why I was told that these gears were quiter than the stock ones. Then I was told that the whining was caused by my KAAZ LSD. Which appears not to be the case.

Eitherway I'm over it.

Thanks guys for all the helpfull info.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 AM

Well, Rick's response confirm's what I was hoping; that the noise is in some way related to extra strength, which makes me feel better given the SC I've added.

I had just hoped it would go down a little after the break in. Maybe it needs a few more miles. I did add the LE 607 lube at 1k miles, but that didn't affect the sound.

If anyone has added a thoatier exhaust to help cover the gear whine, did it help?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM

My main concern about the whine was that there was something wrong with the gear setup. Now that I know that's not it, I'm not worried.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:29 AM

My whine like a son-of-a-gun, but I've seen the gears after break-in and they're wearing perfect. You'll get used to 'em. Have fun with that beast of a car!!!

Quick Reply: Rearend gear break in procedure