S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Wheels smells like burnt tires

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought mine were burning too. Turned out to be grease being slung from the driveshaft joint and landing on the muffler. Apparently I don't know the difference between burning grease and burning rubber, haha.
You'd have to take a look under your car and find greasy/wet spots on the mufflers or tail pipes.

As far as I know these shafts are non-serviceable, so I guess I'll be needing it rebuilt soon.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.T
I thought mine were burning too. Turned out to be grease being slung from the driveshaft joint and landing on the muffler. Apparently I don't know the difference between burning grease and burning rubber, haha.
You'd have to take a look under your car and find greasy/wet spots on the mufflers or tail pipes.

As far as I know these shafts are non-serviceable, so I guess I'll be needing it rebuilt soon.
I would like a few more details here if you wouldn't mind Is it grease from the axle buckets?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM

No grease under mine or my crv. Never hurts to check out things underneath. In fact I reccomend cbecking the drive shaft bolts as I've a a few come loose on my S
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by baZurk
Originally Posted by MR.T' timestamp='1374162837' post='22673538

I would like a few more details here if you wouldn't mind Is it grease from the axle buckets?

as far as pics of grease on the muffler, i didn't get one when i had the car jacked up, so you'll have to take my word on that one, but this is a pic of the front portion with the same kind of joint that links up to the diff pumpkin. notice the black, kind of oily looking line that wraps all three sides of the tranny tunnel.

i'm assuming that the rear portion is out of grease now, as the smell has stopped, haha. on older cars and most trucks that's where you'd see the u-joint. on my rover the front and rear joints on the shafts are all serviceable, meaning you can hook a grease gun up to a zerk style fitting and replenish the grease. i haven't researched my options for repair as of yet, but i'm assuming i'll have to replace a portion/all of the shaft or have it rebuilt in some manner.