S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Tire Wear

Old 09-26-2002, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I ordered two rear tires from Tire Rack today. They were by far the cheapest at $142. each. I called the local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer. He wanted $250. for each tire in addition to special shipping fees, FET and installation. The overall total was nearly $600. Unbelievable!

I went by another independent dealer and told him the price at which Tire Rack was selling the S02's. He was totally cool. He admitted that if he ordered them that he would be ordering from Tire Rack also. He said that I could save some money by buying directly from them and that he'd mount each tire for only $10.00 each when they arrived. What a deal!

I didn't really think there were any honest merchants left in the automotive industry. I'm glad to be wrong.

If delivery goes okay, I'll definitely buy from Tire Rack again
Old 09-26-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beachcar
[B]Well I ordered two rear tires from Tire Rack today.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:41 AM

just do what i did, just remember to rotate your tires after a while
Old 09-27-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by LordMagnet
just do what i did, just remember to rotate your tires after a while

Uhmm....how do you rotate unidirectional tires that can't be rotated front to rear and vice versa?

I wish I had the money to rotate tire brands every few months.....Potenza this month, Pirelli next month and then the good ol' Kelly Springfields for when you just feel like sliding around every 10 mph corner
Old 09-27-2002, 01:32 PM

In my experience the tire toe alignment setting affects tire wear much more than camber. A cambered tire just compresses flat, a toed tire rolls slightly sideways down the road all of the time.

Factory toe on the s2k has zero toe on the front and a relatively large amount of toe in on the rear. This is why rear tire wear is normally so much larger than the front.

Now if you are sliding the car a lot in higher speed corners you will see more front tire wear due to the understeer, but normally it is the rears that wear more due to the toe in.

To reduce rear tire wear have your car realigned with a smaller amount of rear toe in than the factory value. Try half the value. I actually run zero toe on the rear, both with OEM tires and R compound rubber, because I like the way the car handles that way. But I would not recommend doing that until you have tried half the standard value first.

Reducing rear toe in will reduce the stability of the car, so I would add a caution that you really should do this only if you have had some high performance driving instruction and understand weight transfer and whatnot.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beachcar, you have to have the tires taken off of the wheels and mounted on the other side of the car. Since they are directional tires, you shouldn't just switch them from one side of the car to the other. Then you need to have them rebalanced.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:24 AM

i was kidding by that previous statement btw
Old 09-28-2002, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by LordMagnet
i was kidding by that previous statement btw
I figured that, but I had a hard time seeing your face to make sure
Old 09-30-2002, 08:04 PM

My right rear tire is almost slick on the inside edge, about 1 inch wide. Other than that the tire is a little over half worn. Anyone ever had this trouble before? I am going to try a rear realignment job.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ugotmade
[B]My right rear tire is almost slick on the inside edge, about 1 inch wide.

Quick Reply: Rear Tire Wear