S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rear sway bar needed?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear sway bar needed?

First of im not very savy when it comes to cars, i do a lot of rearing specialy since i got my S, but still i know my limist, now i know that running a no stagered set up on our cars makes the car handle different and also lowering it and therefore running more negative camver, while installing my coilover's with a frined my sway arm link came under too much presur and and broke, now i removed the sway bar while i got a new link.

now what make me ask the question of is it really needed, is that i read on post about people spinning out at the track and sevral people sugested unbolting one of the sides of the rear sway bar, wich would equal to not having one, for better handling and what not.

I know you want to know about my set up, 17x8.5 non stafered, lowered about 2" on coilovers annd runing 3 degrees of negative camber in the rear, i cant remember the toe and stuff of the top of my head.

Now being this the case i like how the car feels right now better than it did with the sawy bar, but the only thing is that i didnt have coilovers before and that could be the reasson, so idk, is having a rear sway bar really necessay with a non stagered set up?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have experience with running no sway bar on an s2k, but generally the more you either soften up the rear(what your effectively doing by removing the sway bar) or stiffen the front, your going to get more understeer (the front will push out instead of the rear kicking out). From what i understand, people are spinning because of a driving fault, not because of the almost perfect balance of the car as it is(although the weight distribution/neutrality is definetely helping the spin out). As i said i dont have personal experience, but you may also experience more body roll with out having a sway. If you really wanted to soften up the rear you could get an adjustable sway bar or just a stiffer/bigger one up front.

Understeer is more safe for an inexperienced driver. You can hit the brakes or back off the throttle to get out of a sticky(or slidey) situation. Most factory cars are dialed in with understeer. This is where the s2k differs (and perhaps rises above) many cars as it's very neutral.(and so ive heard understeer off throttle and oversteer w/ too much throttle) I came from a 2005 wrx so i know all about understeer. Im just getting used to this rwd machine!!