S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear suspension giving me trouble

Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension giving me trouble

So I am at a lost... my passenger rear tire is cambered to all hell... pulled apart rear suspension compared upper and lower arms to each side. No differences in measurements so I ruled out bent arms. All bushings are good no damages from what I can see. I have aligned the rear subframe using the alignment holes and following the write up I found on the forum. Still have almost a 2 degree difference on the right rear.
Current measurements
LR: -1.6
RR: -3.5
Camber bolt is maxed out can not for the life of me get the RR to put a little more positive Camber.

The only things I can think of is structural damage(I haven't seen any)
Hub is damaged(doesn't look like it to me)

I'm at a complete loss. Any and all help/advice would be great. Car is an AP1 MY00.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Spindles are easy to bend without detection.

You sure you're turning the camber adjustment? Not the toe?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Spindle/knuckle is the likely culprit.

At this point I think I've bent and had to replace almost as many suspension components as are still original. Definitely a weak point on any S2000 that is driven hard on bumpy roads. At this point it helps me to mentally think of them as wear items.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Spindles are easy to bend without detection.

You sure you're turning the camber adjustment? Not the toe?
Yeah I made sure I was. Hmmmmm spindle....I shall check that out
Old 12-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Spindle/knuckle is the likely culprit.

At this point I think I've bent and had to replace almost as many suspension components as are still original. Definitely a weak point on any S2000 that is driven hard on bumpy roads. At this point it helps me to mentally think of them as wear items.
Besides a Honda dealership where can one procure spindles? How much do they go for?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

PartNo: 52215-S2A-010

Less than $200 before shipping for a new Honda part from bernardiparts.com. You might also check Majestic online as another Honda parts option.

Hopefully that's what it is!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

The correct way to set rear camber and toe on these cars is really quite simple. By nomenclature the rear most adjuster is the toe arm, the tie rod is the camber adjustment. To set camber, loosen both and turn them in the same direction, to set toe loosen both and turn them in OPPOSITE directions. Bounce car several times after adjusting to settle the car and ensure your setting is correct. A loose ball joint can cause your camber issue, the spindle is the most likely culprit however. A bad wheel bearing can also cause your issue. It's almost impossible to eye whether a knuckle is bent or not, if the machine tells you it's off and nothing you can do fixes it, suspect that first, ball joint second(though it's much cheaper to replace a ball joint), lower control arm third, and wheel bearing a distant fourth. It's very rare the uppers are bent, unless the car was in a collision.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
The correct way to set rear camber and toe on these cars is really quite simple. By nomenclature the rear most adjuster is the toe arm, the tie rod is the camber adjustment. To set camber, loosen both and turn them in the same direction, to set toe loosen both and turn them in OPPOSITE directions. Bounce car several times after adjusting to settle the car and ensure your setting is correct. A loose ball joint can cause your camber issue, the spindle is the most likely culprit however. A bad wheel bearing can also cause your issue. It's almost impossible to eye whether a knuckle is bent or not, if the machine tells you it's off and nothing you can do fixes it, suspect that first, ball joint second(though it's much cheaper to replace a ball joint), lower control arm third, and wheel bearing a distant fourth. It's very rare the uppers are bent, unless the car was in a collision.
Thanks for the advice! The lowers when I removed them and compared each side to each other and making a few reference measurements I found no big differences well differences that would cause almost 2 degrees of camber difference.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You can buy naked spindles from honda for $200. But you'll need hubs and bearings also.

I'd just buy a low mile JDM subframe on eBay. Sell your good parts from your car to make up the cost. I've had good luck with that method, and have ended up with quite a few useful spare parts.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM

What's the difference between the jdm and usdm rear subframes?

Quick Reply: Rear suspension giving me trouble