S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Right Outer CV Boot Leak - Challenge

Old 03-22-2024, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Right Outer CV Boot Leak - Challenge

Hey Folks, I track my s2k. During OctoberFAST (VIR) I found that my Rear Right CV Boot Outer was leaking. The outcome was the inside of my rim would get caked with CV Grease (yellow OEM). After the track event, I sought to replace the exterior boot myself. Before getting into the work there was no visible tear or pinhole from which the grease was coming from. It seemed to come through the OEM clamp as if heat may have been a factor causing it to bubble through the oem band.

Popped the axle out and replaced the boot with OEM hardware, even replaced the OEM clamp and was sure to tighten it using a proper CV Clamp tool.

I just came back from VIR (March Madness) and yep the grease is coming through again. Would appreciate any thoughts here. Some mentioned that I should just replace the axle shaft entirely. Could use some help, and or recommendations.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:30 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Only time I had this happen on track it was actually a pinhole in the boot. I swapped over a boot from a used spare I had and never saw the issue again. Were you very careful to pack with the specified amount of grease when you put on the new boot? If you overfill with too much grease it will squish some back out no matter what and can even push a boot off if full enough. The shop manual has a spec for each joint regarding the proper amount to use. If you do not have access to that I can check in mine when I get a chance here as I cannot recall the proper amount for the outboard joint.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:03 AM

Hey @engifineer the kit I used was the same OEM Honda Kit. The plastic container provided is the requisite amount and I was sure to apply as much as I could squeeze (why is it a plastic bottle and not something akin to a pack of toothpaste)

I am asking puddymod (Ben) his thoughts on just sending him my Axles to get refurb'd. Then perhaps later do some LSD overhaul.

Dan
Old 03-22-2024, 11:22 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

oh ok, I did not realize you had the little packets of grease that came with it. So it should not be that it was overfilled given it was cleaned out prior. On mine I just have some larger containers of the grease that I use and have to measure it out
The following users liked this post:
osms.io (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:38 AM

I don't know if cross posting a link to a facebook group is allowed, but there is one topic that has over 90 responses. Which to me sounds like you gotta wade through a lot of the opinions/fact to get to the ground truth.

A friend of mine shared a link to this (5:00 on the timer)
video that show cases some of the pitfalls of the solid rear (non-ventilated) brake discs. Which get seriously hot.

I am considering taking the rear brakes on both sides to measure the pad depth to see if there is potential for stuck brake or improper installation of the piston to pad material which if done poorly could generate more heat than nominal for the axle to contend with.

Last edited by osms.io; 03-26-2024 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:47 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Holy crap! they Honda shafts/boots ?

Last edited by noodels; 03-26-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Holy crap! they Honda shafts/boots ?
Yes link was sourced from s2000 facebook group chat.