S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear passenger brake

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Apr 3 2009, 12:27 PM
you're sure it's not wheel bearing squeak? when mine went bad it started just like that. only squeals once it's gotten hot.
is their any way i could check for that? Changing the pads did seem to stop it for a little while..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM

or the parts cooled while you were parked, and the noise would have stopped for a little while anyway....

i'm not saying this is what it is, just that it could be a possibility.

if you haven't ever re-torqued your axle nuts to 220 lb ft, go ahead and do that (should be done anyway.)

if you have, try going a little higher (maybe to 240 or so). if re-torquing keeps the noise away for at least a week or so, then that's probably your problem.

some people will suggest that to check if your wheel bearing is bad, grab the tire in 2 spots 180^ apart and try to wiggle it. sometimes a bad wheel bearing will allow some play there, but not always.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you jack up the car and wiggle the wheel it can make a bad bearing more obvious.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM

i have read through a few threads on here and it seems like this must be the problem. I guess the rotors feeling hot may have been psychological lol.

I cant jack the car up right now to check for play in the wheel. If this is the problem will i damage the car driving it like this for another week. I plan to replace both hub and bearing next week if it can wait that long. I have about a 10 mile round trip commute during the week.

one thing i have noticed is that the noise seems to come in a certain spot during the revolution of the tire. So the noise is not continuous it makes it once per revolution of the wheel.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by hariku821,Apr 3 2009, 11:50 PM
i have read through a few threads on here and it seems like this must be the problem. I guess the rotors feeling hot may have been psychological lol.
well, if you have access to a laser or infrared thermometer you could check to see if there actually is a major difference in rotor temp.

I cant jack the car up right now to check for play in the wheel. If this is the problem will i damage the car driving it like this for another week. I plan to replace both hub and bearing next week if it can wait that long. I have about a 10 mile round trip commute during the week.

again, before you replace anything, i would try tightening the axle nut. if that seems to 'fix' your problem for a little while, then you know hub/bearing need to be replaced.

you're probably good to let it go for another week. i have no idea how long you actually have though, so i wouldn't push it.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds EXACTLY like when my wheel bearing went bad.

If that's your issue too, you'll need a new bearing, probably a new hub, take the knuckle/hub unit to a shop you trust that has a press, replace the bearing and hub, and reassemble. Torquing the axle nut will be a temporary relief of the symptom, but not a fix for the problem.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

I took it into honda last saturday. Turns out the noise goes away after 40 miles on the highway.. They couldnt find anything wrong with it. I took a tech for a ride and was able to get the noise a little and he had no clue..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM

How many miles do you have on you S?I have noticed that wheel bearing tend to go bad after you cross at least the 75K odometer mark. I had a buddy of mine that had the same squeeking popping noice that progressively got worse. Initially we thought it might have been the diff, but it ended up being a wheel bearing just as you describe.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Almostlude,Apr 14 2009, 01:37 PM
How many miles do you have on you S?I have noticed that wheel bearing tend to go bad after you cross at least the 75K odometer mark. I had a buddy of mine that had the same squeeking popping noice that progressively got worse. Initially we thought it might have been the diff, but it ended up being a wheel bearing just as you describe.
Its an 03 with a little less than 40k miles.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM

So last weekend i had it at honda like i said. They told me bring it back this weekend and they will figure it out. I asked the tech "could the wheel fall off" and he assured me no that could not happen that everything looked good.

So i brought it in yesterday and left it about an hour later i get a call. They said the hub,bearing,knuckle, and rotor needed to be replaced and that the wheel could seperate from the vehicle at any time.. wtf..

Quick Reply: Rear passenger brake