S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear making clunking sounds

Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear making clunking sounds

I have a MY00 S2000 with ~140k and whenever I take spirited left turns, the rear will make a continuous clunking sound which can be felt through my seat.
My car is lowered on HKS Hipermax and I do have axle spacers.
However, when I take spirited right turns, there is no clunking sound no matter how hard I take that turn.
When I go over bumps anything over 25mph, I can heard a clunk.
It does sound like the clunking is coming from the driver's rear but I can't be 100% sure.

Thus trying to find out the problem, I have replaced the rear passenger axle (old had lots of play, new has no play), differential (with a lower mileage one), and rear driver's toe rod as the boot was torn (installed a new toe rod).
Also, I re-tighten just about every single bolt in the rear end and none were loose.

Rear driver's axle has no play, Hipermax are almost new and even after installing all these new parts, it still makes the clunking sound when I take spirited left turns.
The shop I go to is out of ideas of why it does that.

Anyone with an idea, please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Bump
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do axles get play? thats usually the wheel bearings that get play when worn out...

take pics of your suspension on the passengers rear
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the LSD. If it is I don't know what to tell you. I lived with a TR4 for years with the clunk and no problems. I assumed it was from normal wear and quickly learned to live with it.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
do axles get play? thats usually the wheel bearings that get play when worn out...

take pics of your suspension on the passengers rear
Both axles have no play. I do not believe it is the wheel bearings as I jacked up the car and shook both wheel vigorously.
I will get pictures up soon.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JackS
Could be the LSD. If it is I don't know what to tell you. I lived with a TR4 for years with the clunk and no problems. I assumed it was from normal wear and quickly learned to live with it.
I do not believe it is the LSD as I just replaced it with a lower mileage one and still makes the same clunking sound thus the clunking does not relate to the LSD.
However, I am living with it.

As the speed increases during spirited left turns, the continuous clunking gets louder and faster.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds to me like the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. I wouldve replaced that before axles and diff...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeganFoxAP1
Originally Posted by JackS' timestamp='1309850087' post='20746711
I do not believe it is the LSD as I just replaced it with a lower mileage one and still makes the same clunking sound thus the clunking does not relate to the LSD.
However, I am living with it.

As the speed increases during spirited left turns, the continuous clunking gets louder and faster.
Since the clunk happens at speed it probably isn't the LSD. My clunk only happened at very low speed during a turn and only clunked once or twice but never on a hy-way or at any speed above 10mph. I think you should have someone look into your problem as soon as possible.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be a worn out sway bar endlink? My car was having similar issues and that fixed it. Any clunking over bumps?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Thank you guys for the help.
I have tried shaking the wheel to see if there's any play but there isn't so I don't believe the wheel bearings are going bad.

How do you tell if the sway bar end links are going bad?
Or do I remove the sway bar and take spirited left turns and if there is no more clunking then I relate the problem to the end links?

Quick Reply: Rear making clunking sounds