S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear left side hub broke off....

Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear left side hub broke off....

Hello guys. Yesterday while I was driving normally, when I made a left turn, all of the sudden I hear this grinding noise come from the rear left side. I took off the wheel and the hub just fell out. My car is lowered on Buddy Club Racing Dampers. I am currently six notches away from full stiff. No other mods. The night before I did go on a canyon run so I did push the car a little bit there. The shop told me because my car is lowered and pushing the car a little bit can cause that to happen. I was thinking to myself that lot of cars are lowered and I dont see this issue come up often. Is there any other reasons this could of happened? Thanks a lot guys!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUB? are you saying the thing the holds the brake rotor and caliper and wheel broke off? or are you saying the axle nut and the tip of the axle broke off? someone could have over tighten it, then stress over time = BAMM!just pick up a new axle from o'reilly, life time warranty.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Were your axle nuts ever re-torqued to address the issue with them being under torqued from the factory? If not, maybe there was a little bit of play that when combined with the added stress of the car being lowered, caused the breakage that you experienced. Just a theory!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when the dealer did the rear re-tq they went too far, heat from the fast driving over the months stressed the metal to the braking point?

strange though never seen any car brake an axle at that point.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it happen at a thread root? From Pic 2 it looks like it perhaps did because the failure edge appears to be concentric with the outside circumference - suggestive of a thread root. This can sometimes happen in metals - metal fatigue at a stress riser (in this case the root of the thread). This would also be seriously aggravated if the nut was consistently being overtightened. You are lucky that something more drastic did not happen. Except to have the piece periodically NDT'd (non-destructively tested) it is unlikely that you would have noticed this occuring over time. The clean 'land' marks on the face suggest that it was probably a sudden failure as opposed to a progressive tearing of things.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

it looks like the nut isn't threaded on fully enough to have the proper torque applied to it, the edge of the nut looks very close to the end of the axle, maybe being loose for a period of time it could have caused the damage if it got looser over time. It just looks odd to me.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:04 PM

that same thing happened to me because of a bad wheel bearing. Have your wheel bearing checked out.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The axle broke. The hub did not fall off.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by punjabihustler69
The shop told me because my car is lowered and pushing the car a little bit can cause that to happen.
Another clueless shop. Very stupid. Saying that shows their complete lack of mechanical knowledge. If that were the case, tracked s2ks on R-coumpound tires wouldnt even make it out of pit row.

It broke most likely because it was over torqued, and that is hard to do on that nut.

But with todays modern impact guns and shop pressure, it can happen.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the response guys! Yea I was thinking it could've happened from over tightening as well. If you look at picture three you can see there was a little bent already on the bolt, maybe happened when they over tightened it. Ever since I got the car back I been hearing the squuuqy sound coming from the rear around 30-45mph but thats the only time it happens. Idk if its the diff, because I did change my fluids the day off the incident happen. I am gonna go to a trusted shop soon to get everything checked out. Appreciate the help!

I am just afraid to drive the car now

Quick Reply: Rear left side hub broke off....