S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Knuckle, Hub and Bearing Removal/Replacement

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Here's the lower right side ball joint. Index finger is pointed at the gap that I don't think should be there. Is it possible the joint's rubber boot is just pushed up from the ball joint puller when I took it off?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Yes. slide the boot down. As long as you properly torqued the stud and there was no dirt/metal bits/etc in the lower arm fitting for the bj stud, then you are all set.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Ahhh Good! Then I will see if I can't get them to drop a bit. the holes were cleaned out. I used a brush. No I just have to get the rotors and wheels back on so I can torque the hub nuts! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI to this thread:
I thought the AP1 and AP2 knuckles can be interchanged, making swap of the defective wheel hub easier.

I have both side by side and you can see the slight differences in angle for the ball joints as well as thickness of the arms from the knuckle.
After the shop installed it, my toe was off more than 2 degrees! I got an alignment and it's straight, but I still feel the rear is a bit unstable compared to the AP1 knuckle.

Unfortunately, it's already installed on my AP1 on the passenger side. I've done a few track events but I can feel the slight instability in the rear when the suspension is compressing and de-compressing. Perhaps it wasn't as noticeable at the track since I'm typically loading up that side (counter clockwise track).

I didn't find this info easily at first so just wanted to add to this thread since it started with a broken lug stud.

Now, I'm going to put the old AP1 knuckle back on with the wheel stud and bearing replaced.
Thanks to contributions to this thread! I'm ordering the OTC tool.

btw, the Honda BJ separator tool may seem expensive, but the labor alone for removing knuckle is more than $150. May help with perspective.

I've seen a couple posts on how to press out the hub and bearing with a press. Any recommendations on what to use to press out the hub and/or bearing? Saw some interesting devices in the VW forum where metal cups on a bolt collapses the bearing (tighten the nut from opposite side) so it pops out which enables the work to be done without a press.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 AM

The AP1 and AP2 rear knuckles (aka spindles) have the same part number.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikey, I called the dealership before I made a purchase of the AP2 knuckles for my AP1 car and parts counter confirmed same PN for AP1 & AP2.

However, I compared the knuckles (Left AP2 & Right AP1) and there are differences. It may be the left and right differences and not AP1 vs. AP2.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 PM

If you buy the knuckle from honda does it come with a bearing and hub already installed? We just broke my rear pass. side knuckle while pressing the old bearing out.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Apr 26 2010, 04:42 PM
If you buy the knuckle from honda does it come with a bearing and hub already installed? We just broke my rear pass. side knuckle while pressing the old bearing out.
no. the knuckle, bearing, and hub are 3 separate pieces
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Oh well, would have been nice but at least I have the new bearing and hub already lol.

Think I can beat majestic honda's price of $158.18 anywhere? My local honda dealer isn't much for giving discounts (at least to me lol).
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM

I have compared prices from the various on-line discount price sellers for OEM parts - Majestic is the cheapest (on every item, IIRC).
I have some NIB Timken rear hub bearings if you need them - $50 shipped for the pair.

Quick Reply: Rear Knuckle, Hub and Bearing Removal/Replacement