S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Grinding/Squeaking Sound?Please Help!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Rear Grinding/Squeaking Sound?Please Help!

There is a grinding/creeking sound that sounds like a metal to metal contact. It also seems to be heat related and only occurs after 15 minutes of driving or right after I get off the freeway. The sound is loudest when slowing down to a stop and just continues to get louder over time. The sound is not effected by applying the brakes nor e-brake. I also believe the sound is coming from the rear wheels because the sound rotates with the tires.

So far I have already changed the transmission, differential, cv joints, and wheel bearing. As you can see it has already costed me a fortune and I'm running out of suggestions as to what the problem is, so if anyone can help please do. god bless
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM

I get a metal to metal sound at 80mph and between fast gear shifts I've been wondering what it is, started in the cold weather
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM

Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor anymore, still occurs only at slow speeds like 10mph when coming to a complete stop. Not a constant sound, occurs every other second as if there is a spot where something is rubbing. It sounds almost like worn out brake pads or warped rotor. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Couple of questions:

1. Are you SURE it only happens at low speeds, or can you only hear it then (our cars are pretty loud)?
2. Does it sound like it is coming more from one side or the other? (This may help identify a brake problem)
3. When you brake, is the deceleration smooth, or do you feel a pulsing sensation from either your foot (on the brake pad) or in the entire car? (This DEFINITELY suggests a warped rotor)
4. It wouldn't cost you anything to take off your rear wheel and then remove the rotor to see if it is warped. You can usually visually see it if this is the case...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 PM

To answer the questions in order:

1. Yes, the sound only occurs at low speeds usually when coming to a stop. The sound goes away when you pick up speed.
2. To me it seems like the sound is more on the driver side but my gf says its coming from the middle (in the rear of course).
3. Deceleration is smooth when I brake, nothing abnormal.

Thanks bposeley for the suggestion, I'll definitely have a look
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM

If the sound is not coming from one side specifically and you are having no pedal pulse or deceleration issues, then you may be looking at a problem in the rear differential. That component also has a set of rotating gears that spin as your car does. I don't know about the speed factor, but that is the exact location of where your gf is describing the sound. Similarly, you could be experiencing a problem where the axle connects to the diff...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 PM

ABCVTEC describes everything I'm going through

*Quote: ABCVTEC
so im hearing a squeaking/grinding/squeeling noise coming from the driver side rear of my car. its sounds exactly like when my weel bearing went out a couple months ago and its definitely on the driver side again.

two months ago i had my wheel bearing replaced. i bought the bearing from honda directly and had a mechanic do the install. do you think this could be my wheel bearing again or something else? possibly i need to retorque my axle nut? im just hoping i dont need to replace the bearing again already. i only hear the sound when i am decellerating or slowly accelerating from 0 to 30.

any help is appreciated. ive already called honda and they pointed the finger at my mechanic saying it was a bad install. then i called my mechanic and he pointed the finger at honda saying it was a bad wheel bearing. go figure.

any help is greatly appreciated.

(sorry for the lack of grammar as i made this post from my phone.)