S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Glass Shattered

Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Glass Shattered

I have a 2000 S2000. Back in 2003 my dealer replaced my top due to wear of the vinyl, and the new top had a glass window.

All was well until this past May when my glass shattered when putting the top up. After a number of phone calls I ended up getting the whole top replaced at an apolstery shop recommended my my Honda dealer. It cost my insurance company $1700 and change (full glass covered it). The new top seemed to be better constructed in the wear areas, and the window glass was clearly smaller than the one they put in years back.

Yesterday it happened again! This time I heard a sequence of noises as the top was going up. First, the motor tone changed. A split second later there were two bangs in rapid succession and my top jumped up. It sounded as though something mechanical had prevented the top from continuing to go up, and then the window breaking freed whatever the holdup was.

Anyone have any ideas? or similar experiences?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the dealer put the glass top in they didn't do a proper conversion. The straps on the ribs are configured differently on the glass tops.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM

When they did the conversion before & now did they add the two straps on the soft top frame?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ apparently not...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM

check the skeletal frame of the top and how its folding on the glass.. it might not be aligned right.. there cant possibly be the same problem with the tops itself.. the common denominator is the frame's opening and close process... many times the dealerships replace things here and there without taking care of the root of the problem.. kinda like putting a patch and hope the tire doesnt deflate before the warranty expires when the problem has to do with the suspension itself.. At the same time you have to consider the 2000 s2k came with a plastic rear window.. I dont know if much was changed on that top's mechanics when they went with a glass rear window.. Maybe theres a specific glass upgraded top thats supposed to go with your set up instead of using the glass top thats used with those s2k's whose top came OEM with a glass rear window.. Im no mechanic but im just throwing you some possible scenarios..
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

I did the conversion myself. Here's something that you might want to check. There are four snaps for the top cover. You need to remove the two most inner snaps and leave the outer two. It may be your problem.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"snaps"?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM

yeah little nipple looking things that you are supposed to use when you have the tonneau cover on. When I did the conversion from the MY00 top to the glass window top I had to remove the snaps on the back of the roll bars. Even in the DIY it tells you specifically to remove them to prevent top damage.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are too many trial and errors going on. i'd just be safe and go back with the plastic window instead of constantly dishing out a grand or so...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to get the dealer to replace with a new top and frame! As others have stated, when they install it make sure the straps are on correctly and you remove the "nipples" fromt he plastice trim pieces so the glass doesn't get caught.

Quick Reply: Rear Glass Shattered