S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear gear set impressions and intallation

Old 05-16-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:32 PM
d2d

Well, turns out next tuesday I won't be able to get the gears in....work has interfered yet again...

however, I ran into some luck and found someone to do it sooner...he did it last night

Car is crazy...I've been taking it easy, but you can really feel that every gear is a lot more aggressive. The highway is a little odd with the 4.77's, high rpm for sure...lucky for me I'm almost never on the highway. If nothing else, when I'm on the highway, I'll probably cruise closer to the speed limit from now on.

However, I've also noticed the humming..only hear it when I'm decelerating down hill oddly, but it wasn't there before. While my installer really seemed to know what he was doing (I was there the whole time, and was impressed with his expertise), I think he must have overlooked something.

Now I'm really nervous. Just ordered the helms manual to get the specs you mentioned in this thread, and I'll bring it back to him after and see what he says.

Lucky for me I have company all weekend, so the 2 seater won't get any use.

If anyone can PM me the settings from the manual, it'll help me get to the shop quicker...ordered the manual overnight, but that probably still means wednesday or so...which makes me a bit nervous! You'll forever have my gratitude.

More details about the 4.77's once a) they get fixed, and b) I break it in again.

Also, I'd like to emphasize anyone doing this get the manual before hand, and bring it to the installer...will save you this headache for sure. I should have done it, thought about it, but in the excitement and anticipation, ignored the thought.

Cheers all.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by d2d
[B]While my installer really seemed to know what he was doing (I was there the whole time, and was impressed with his expertise), I think he must have overlooked something.

Now I'm really nervous.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some humming may not be a problem at all, but if the mechanic does not have extensive experience with diff gear installs, and he didn't know the specs, jeez, man, what do you expect?

This work must be done by a mechanic who has extensive experience with diff gear installs. In this case, I don't care if he's got great experience with everything else -- if he hasn't done diffs successfully, he's just learning at your expense.

Does everyone get this? Do not even think about using a mechanic for this job who does not have extensive experience with rear gear work.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:37 AM
d2d

The mechanic claimed to have done many many diffs. I was aware diff experience was required prior to searcing for a mechanic, and this guy was very convincing. Actually, I have no doubt he has worked on many diffs...there's no way he'd have been able to do this in the time he did had. But I do blame myself for not being 'educated' enough on the matter, and not supplying him with the necessary information.

Admittedly, I know little about diffs, I know what they do, but nothing on the finer details of how they do it. I was under the impression that a diff is a diff is a diff, for the most part, and someone with experience with one would know otherwise.

My suggestion is to incorporate these problems into the various excellent howto's and other documentation on this site, it'll help a great deal for others who go down this path in the future. It may be an unspoken, and known requirement for some, but isn't for others (obviously myself), and would really help.

Anyways, won't be driving until I get this re-worked.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

The diff experience doesn't need to be on an S2000, and you shouldn't need to know all the details. If your guy is experienced, I would guess what you're hearing is nothing to be concerned about. A little minor humming or buzzing is nothing to worry about. Most likely, it will go away over time.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:22 AM

Also, I'd like to emphasize anyone doing this get the manual before hand, and bring it to the installer...
I also gave my installer a copy of X-Vipers how to with the helms! The Installer said X-vipers how to helped and he read the whole article just to get a feel before he jumped in! My installer said the Gear change is similar to many domestics except that the quality and craftmanship of the s2000 diff. is far
superior to Domestics. He commented that he wished domestic diff where made that way.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:52 AM

I'd suggest those interested in these specs to "bookmark" this thread to refer others to it in future. I don't think it should go into the "library" or into the "How To" list because I have used most of my own words (paraphrased) from the Helm manual. Duplicating "verbatim" from the Helm would be copywrite infringement.
However, Rick, you have my OK to "copy/paste" the specs from my post into a new thread of "WARNING AND CAUTION". Perhaps even get Keith to put his thoughts into it as well.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:15 PM
d2d

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]The diff experience doesn't need to be on an S2000, and you shouldn't need to know all the details.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:33 PM

d2d, do as your mechanic indicates and continue to "break in" the gears. Drive it easy for about 600 miles and then gradually over the next 500 miles or so, add more and more stress to it (ie. drive harder) till you end up driving it as agressively as you normally ever would. Then continue till you have around 1500-2000 miles, at which point, change out the fluid and inspect the fluid and what's stuck on the magnet very carefully. This will tell you a great deal. The whole time, keep an ear out on that humming. It should get less and less as the gears wear in.
Occasionally, after a lengthy drive, carefully go under the car and feel the pumpkin for heat. It should be quite hot to the touch but it should not burn you. If you cannot hold your hand on it for risk of being burnt, something "might" be wrong.