S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear end wiggle

Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tire pressures are good, I check them regularly and they're always being adjusted accordingly for auto-x and street driving. I'm convinced that the tires are not the problem, I've had 3 different sets on since buying the car. The tires are currently 225's on the front, 245's on the rear. I've had sizes from 205 to 225 on the front and 225 to 255 on the rear, the car had the same wiggle the whole time.

Maybe NegCamber is onto something with the swapped springs, front to rear. Is there anyway to tell the OEM front springs from the rears?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me you need new half shafts
or barings.
My car had same prob.
How many miles do you have and is your car SC?

Rich
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing. My car has the same issue, but I just played it off as normal weight transfer issues. It definitely doesn't seem right to me, especially since it's noticeable without significant loading.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000RAT,May 15 2007, 05:27 AM
Sounds to me you need new half shafts
or barings.
My car had same prob.
How many miles do you have and is your car SC?

Rich
Yes, my car is supercharged. It has 74,000 miles and has been supercharged around 50,000 miles. It sounds like you may be onto something. I really feel like the wiggle was something in the drivetrain, not a suspension problem (although I may have an issue there as well). It feels like something just comes loose when it's not under power, it's hard to describe. Is there a way to check the half shafts? I jacked the rear up to check the bearings and the wheels didn't move at all.

Subscribing. My car has the same issue, but I just played it off as normal weight transfer issues. It definitely doesn't seem right to me, especially since it's noticeable without significant loading.
Same with mine, seems to slide out a little as soon as the motor stops activly pushing the car.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...you have an SC too. Well...one other idea to throw out there. Maybe the diff mounts are dead. They are filled with some kind of greese and I would guess that with enough torque over time they would pop allowing the diff to shift when you get on the power...even just a little.

Still puzzling that the car sits lower at the rear...which is why I thought maybe the springs had been reversed. Not sure how to tell front & rear apart, but I think I've seen a thread or two dedicated to that question. There are painted dots that might give a clue.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Try this, run about 20-30 MPH then down shift gun it. If the wiggle's right away I would say it is the knuckle on the half shaft's is worn out. When I say "knuckle" I mean the part that is the spline cup. It has the rubber boot over it that is full of grease. On the wheel side of the diff.

I had the prob.
Driveshaftshop.com fixed it with the stage 2 axle's

Rich
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM

Wow it seems this problem is effecting alot more people than i thought, at first i thought i was the the only one, and the only way i could discribe it is how you are discribing it, a "wiggle" I have narrowed mine down to tire problems....

your problem my be associated with something else, but the symptoms are exactly how you discribed.... I notice it most when I shift over 6k, and over 20 mph

really makes the car feel unstable at high speeds, and it "steps out" on fast gear changes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM

I've had the same issue you describe on my 2007 since day one. From the research I did on this site, the concensus seemed to point to throttle lift oversteer due to the short wheelbase on the S2000. I saw quite a few postings about this even at low speeds. Mine does it at almost any speed and any rpm when I shift. I check the tire pressure weekly, so I know it's not that. I need to get an alignment to verify that the rear end is in check. Keep us posted if you find a resolution.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM

This may not apply to the supercharged AP1, but may apply to some of the other AP2s out there.

I had a lot of wiggle under sudden accel such as shifting in straight line and also "stepping out" in turns until I took some of the neg. camber out of the rear.

Here's something to try (but just as a test and not permanently): lower your tire pressure to 28-29 (measured cold) and see if the problem goes away (of course, your handling may be a bit worse so be careful). If the wiggle is better that way, perhaps it went away because lower the tire pressure increased the contact patch with the road. This might suggest a similar remedy to mine - reducing the neg. camber in the rear alignment.

My opinion is that the stock, out of the box setup of this car is too much oriented for the track, especially AP2s, and this is possibly the reason behind so many drivers new to the s2k having spin outs. The good news is that the rear has a wide range of adjustment, so I was able to get to superb, flat, predictable street handling without these problems and with reduced tire wear too.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Agreed with checking tire pressure. Easy to overlook, but my issue was related to my passenger side being at 18psi and my driver at 30psi. Filled up and rode lke newt. I did notice though that when in higher RPM's there is super slight twist when letting off the throttle, but seems completely normal to me.

Quick Reply: Rear end wiggle