S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear end noise and vibration

Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise and vibration

Hey guys,

I've had this noise coming from the rear of the car that has progressively getting worse and louder. To give you a run down of what is installed back there:

Puddymod stage 2 diff
Stock axles
No spacers
No diff collars or upgraded mounts
Dropped on Megan coils, virtually no wheel gap.
17x9s with good tires, all balanced correctly.

Now onto the problem:
I have a rotational type of noise coming from the rear. It happened even with my old tire and wheel setup, yet it has become more pronounced as time is going by. It's a hard sound to describe but it only happens over 45mph and only in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear and only when I'm on the throttle slightly. If I let the car coast with foot off gas, the noise goes away. Wheels do not shake, and it's not a humming sound so I'm ruling out the bearings.

Any input or help is greatly appreciated...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a WAG, so if it sounds like a waste of time/money don't pursue....

When I was younger, I had a F-150 that was plagued with driveshaft U-Joint issues. It seemed I was changing them every 15,000 miles, and the noise/vibration sounds almost exactly like you're describing....and I'm not sure why it goes away with foot off the gas, but again same as my truck. It would get so loud and droning that I couldn't have a conversation with someone in the passengers seat. I have not had it happen with my S2K.

Now, I don't think the S2000 has U-joints on the shaft in the traditional sense...I've seen them simply referred to as prop shaft joints.

Something I was thinking then in this case...prop shaft joints are bad, prop shaft is out of balance (I hear you can only buy a whole prop shaft, not replacement parts) or rear 1/2 shaft joints might be starting to bind or cup. I think binding CV joints would produce more popping and clicking than a rotational hum though, and you'd probably notice it at all speeds, but everything here is just a guess.

Hopefully someone with more experience will reply, but those are the areas I'd look.
Check out this thread too...I came across it looking at spacers. sorry to bring in a different forum, but the info seemed helpful albeit with crude drawings. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ft-spacers-%94
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say its your CV buckets. They get pitted over time, weather your car is lowered or not. Since its going away when u coast/let off the gas i would almost 100% say CV buckets. You can swap them (inner CV buckets) from side to side and repack them with new grease and it will go away. Or you can buy spacers that will move the CV bearing out of the pit and remove it as well.