S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Diff question

Old 08-19-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff question

I have searched the forms and found several different things mentioned but nothing very clear ... I saw somthing refrenced about a miata diff, an rx7 diff and even a ford diff possibly being a replacement ..... do any of these swap over ... I am getting ready to turbo my car over the winter months and want to know my options incase I blow by rear dif up. Is there an upgraded one avalible? are there other car diffs that will fit ... or if there is another thread on this that someone else can find it would be appreciated
Old 08-19-2004, 06:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For an '00 through '03, one of the best options is to purchase an '04 diff housing and carrier. This would require a complete rebuild and makes the option of switching to a different gearset much more attractive.
The '04 diff housing (the front part that's painted black) has better oiling than the earlier models and has slightly more reinforcement. Honda determined that oiling had as much or more to do with diff failures than any of the other reported failures and accomodated this in the '04 diff.
Ganley Honda (through Jeff Goetz) offers a variety of diff services including installing the 4.57 gearset (from Rick's).
I recently installed an '04 diff in my '03 with the 4.57 gearset that I purchased from Jeff at Ganley.
As for other diff options: the Miata diff is much weaker, the RX7 turbo diffs are about the same, and haven't heard of anyone using a Ford diff as of yet.
Rick's is looking into a diff swap for the S2000 involving an entirely new diff. When this will come beyond investigation? I have no idea.
Comptech offers a reinforcement process for the diff housing, but unless this is done to an '04 diff, you still will run into the oiling problem because they only reinforce the end caps.

http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php
http://www.ganleyhonda.com/en_US/
Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 AM

It all comes down to your driving style. If you smash your diff it's because you are launching the car to aggressively. I do that everyday. (At least when I have complete axles…) If that's your thing then I would suggest the Kaaz 1.5 way diff.

http://www.kaazusa.com/

I have punished it and it holds up. But remember that the rear end has many "weak" components. If you strengthen one then you move the weak point down to the next item. Diff housing, diff, final gear, clutch, axles (oops!), tranny, etc.

Good luck with the turbo!

-kM
Old 08-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Geez I don't wish to hijack this thread but I have a couple questions about upgrading the diff as well too.......(I wish there was an all encompassing thread about diffs with a sticky)

What does the 04 housing and carrier cost for parts?

Does switching to the 4.57 improve the reliability (I have read they are stronger) and that OE ring and pinion were the weak link?

The Kaaz and other after market diffs are about $1000+, can those be used in the event of differential failure? I am not sure what happens when these things fail but have read several threads that the OE replacements run $3000-$4000. Assuming that you shread the internals but not the the housing, would one of these aftermarket units for $1k swap in and do the trick or is there much more to it than that?

If I switch to 4.57, comptech housing reinforcement, and 04 housing, does that pretty much cut it or is there still a glaring weak point?

I do not plan on blowing the differential but plan to go to the 4.57 most likely with a possible Comptech SC off into the future and would like to make sure that if the gears are swapped out EVERYTHING is taken care of in one shot. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 AM

I can't stress this enough, if you're not launching the car from a stand still you are *pretty* safe with OEM stuff. If you launch the car, stuff is going to break.

On that note, I don't know anything about the 04 diff but if I were planning on getting a Comptech SC and racing every foolio in a Mustang at every stop light then I would get an aftermarket diff. And cryo everything! The gear, the diff housing, your shift knob, etc! Then, stuff $700 into the bank and wait. While racing you're going to snap something and when you do it's nice to be all like "no worries dude, I'll just pick up some new axles…"