S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear diff GL-4 vs GL-5

Old 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff GL-4 vs GL-5

No having much luck in other forums so decided to post here....

Honda dealer put GM GL-4 gear oil in rear diff, manual says use GL-5 or 6 ONLY. Called Honda Dealer and they assured me that GL-4 is good too and they will NOT replace it. So whats the deal here ? Why did Honda use GM GL-4 diff fluid ? They said they use it on ALL S2000s and never had any problems.....
Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Manual says GL-5. That should be easy enough for them to understand.

The dealer used whatever they could get their hands on cheap as there is NO Honda fluid for the diff. They probably just went to the Chevy dealer next door and bought in bulk, or whatever they could get in a barrel.

I would try one more time to get the dealership to do the job right, then do a chargeback if they don't and go get it changed by someone that knows what they're doing. Then complain to Honda that the dealership is overriding their fluid specifications. How much did they charge by chance? If it's anything over $30 bucks including the fluid, you paid too much. Mobil 1 GL-5 is like $12.

Why don't you change it yourself?

They may have done it on one other S2000 and never had problems, but that doesn't mean much. They could be leaving out the part where they refused to pay for a new diff. Honda dealers don't work on S2000's much. Most of the owners here don't trust them, either.

Just for giggles, when you try to get your fluid changed to GL-5, go to the parts counter and see if they have the crush washers (one drain, one fill). I bet you they don't, which will tell you all you need to know.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use & recommend Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 for the diff.It works well in my 03S & 02Z.

Have you tried Amsoil? If not here's my offer.Register to be a Preferred Customer $10,and after your first product order of $100 or more,I'll refund you the PC $10 fee.

http://www.lubedealer.com/dbmotorsports/links.aspx

\rlr
carolina
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by steven975
Manual says GL-5. That should be easy enough for them to understand.

The dealer used whatever they could get their hands on cheap as there is NO Honda fluid for the diff. They probably just went to the Chevy dealer next door and bought in bulk, or whatever they could get in a barrel.

I would try one more time to get the dealership to do the job right, then do a chargeback if they don't and go get it changed by someone that knows what they're doing. Then complain to Honda that the dealership is overriding their fluid specifications. How much did they charge by chance? If it's anything over $30 bucks including the fluid, you paid too much. Mobil 1 GL-5 is like $12.

Why don't you change it yourself?

They may have done it on one other S2000 and never had problems, but that doesn't mean much. They could be leaving out the part where they refused to pay for a new diff. Honda dealers don't work on S2000's much. Most of the owners here don't trust them, either.

Just for giggles, when you try to get your fluid changed to GL-5, go to the parts counter and see if they have the crush washers (one drain, one fill). I bet you they don't, which will tell you all you need to know.
I just bought the car, service record states that dealer put GL4 about 3k miles ago. I can change it myself, but I dont really feel like doing this (have to ask my friend cause i dont have tools) because Honda Dealer put wrong oil in. I am just trying to figure out if GL-4 is really bad for this diff. I am planning on calling Honda of America and ask them this question...

Its just as a new car owner, I am concerned that diff might blow because of wrong oil....And its quite ridiculous that Honda dealer does not follow Honda manual
Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

API GL-4, oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective antiscuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. Recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. These oils are basic for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe.
API GL-5, oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective antiscuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except gearboxes). Oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes only. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.
API GL-6, oils for very heavy conditions (high speeds of sliding and significant shock loadings). They contain up to 10% high performance antiscuffing additives. They are designed for hypoid gears with significant displacement of axes. Class API GL-6 is not applied any more as it is considered that class API GL-5 well enough meets the most severe requirements.

GL-4 has been discontinued by SAE, but it sounds like there is still quite a bit around.
GL-6 never got off the ground (for extreme shock loading and high offset gearing). So you won't be able to find it.
GL-5 is what you want. SAE 90, 110, and 140 all seem to work well. LS additive is not required.
Get the GL-4 out of your differtential ASAP!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GL-5 has a higher level of EP additives so it is designed for rear axle use. GL-4 may be adequate but has a different additive package.

I always use a GL-5 product.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena
GL-5 has a higher level of EP additives so it is designed for rear axle use. GL-4 may be adequate but has a different additive package.

I always use a GL-5 product.
this was my conclusion so far. i think other way around needs asap replacement (GL5 in GL4 gears). I suppose GL4 just theoretically doesn't protect as good as GL5....thats it. anyway.....thanks. i will speak with Honda regarding this matter on Monday and go from there....have Honda replace the oil or do it myself.

ps. a moron service adviser told me that GL4 and GL5 are just viscosity differences
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, many think dealers must have the best service people with the highest qualifications, but that's just simply not true.

There may very well be viscosity differences, but viscosity does not define the GL specification.

If I were you, I wouldn't take my car there ever again.

They probably re-used the crush washers and didn't even torque the bolts correctly, either. You can tell on the Diff drain bolt...if the washer has any yellow, it's the original one.

You need a 23mm box wrench, a 24mm socket and 1/2" ratchet, and a pump to get the fluid into the diff.

All together, starting with no tools, that's $50-$55 including the fluid. More for a torque wrench, which you really should get if you plan to work on your car for regularly, but the torque specs on the diff drain/fill bolts aren't absolutely critical...just make sure you don't leave it loose or over-tighten.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
GL-4 has been discontinued by SAE, but it sounds like there is still quite a bit around.
Are you sure about that?
As far as I know all MTF's are GL-4.

Anyway.. if you want to use Amsoil I recommend the SG 75W-110.
That oil is the best replacement for the OEM recommended single grade SAE 90.
Yes, multigrade oils are different from single grade oils.

The fact the diff is still ok is a sign the dealer did not put that special VTM-4 fluid in.
That stuff is a diff killer.
https://www.s2ki.com/...teractions-etc/

Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1304865648' post='20551182
Are you sure about that?
As far as I know all MTF's are GL-4.

Anyway.. if you want to use Amsoil I recommend the SG 75W-110.
That oil is the best replacement for the OEM recommended single grade SAE 90.
Yes, multigrade oils are different from single grade oils.

The fact the diff is still ok is a sign the dealer did not put that special VTM-4 fluid in.
That stuff is a diff killer.
https://www.s2ki.com/...teractions-etc/

API voted on this last summer:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...h75cLv,bfcpfDb

I agree that on paper AMSOIL SVT 75W-110 looks great on paper, but I'm still waiting to see some test results...anyone have some to show us???

Quick Reply: Rear diff GL-4 vs GL-5