S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear clicking noise

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
It is best to unstake the nut to avoid damaging the thread.
Especially if you remove it to put grease behind the nut.
Use a screwdriver to unstake.

IMO if the clicking has been going on for a while, just tightning won't do much.
There are plenty of posts about the return of the click after a while.
You best pop the lower ball joint, remove axle, clean splines, put grease on spline, put silicone gasket on the face of the bearing mating the hub, install axle, balljoint, put grease on threads, retorque nut and stake it.

A lot more work, but doing things properly sometimes takes time & effort.

I totally agree with you, that's why I didn't start to try to re-torque it.
My torque wrench is too small so I cannot torque to 220 so I didn't done anything.
I'll have to find a higher torque wrench and the I'll remove everything, clean everything and apply grease where it needs
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to SpitfireS. Here is completely right in this aspect. Re-greasing and re-torqueing is required.

I personally tried this myself with new nuts and this clicking went away for about 2 months. Came back the same. Torqued to 220 ft/lb. I ordered me some new axles, Redline Axle Grease, Urea Grease, and nuts. Going to do a fresh install to also remove any minor vibrations from the rear. (Due to pitting of the CV Cups.)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread bookmarked! I've had this noise coming from the rear of my 05 for months now, but I didn't know what it was. The OP's description sounds exactly the same as the sound my car makes. K24Accord please let us know what happens after you re-torque and apply grease, and if you would be so kind as to details what steps you took along the way it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Just thought I'd update this thread with my results. I got rid of the rear clicking noise, and it was very easy. All I had to do was tighten the axle nut (the one in the centre of the brake disk). There is an indent on this nut to keep it from backing off; when the indent start to touch the axle it will creak and click, so this tightening will probably need to be done every once and a while. I just tightened the nut as much as a I could so the indent in it wasn't touching the axle anymore and voila, fixed.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Just thought I'd update this thread with my results. I got rid of the rear clicking noise, and it was very easy. All I had to do was tighten the axle nut (the one in the centre of the brake disk). There is an indent on this nut to keep it from backing off; when the indent start to touch the axle it will creak and click, so this tightening will probably need to be done every once and a while. I just tightened the nut as much as a I could so the indent in it wasn't touching the axle anymore and voila, fixed.

i'd rather retighten it every 6 months to a year than take half the suspension apart
Old 07-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Great. Im going to try this tomorrow and I will post my result as well.