S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Caliper Rebuild DIY

Old 04-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Images have gone missing on this thread but working version can be found here
https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...0-by-spitfires

Could not find oem parts numbers for the rebuild kits on this thread, so chased them down and reposting here:
front 01463-S2A-010
rear 01473-S2A-010

Hope this helps somebody out and thank you to the creator of the DIY!
Old 01-07-2021, 04:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for directing us to the updated site. It looks like the link is not working, but the data is still on the website. Here is the updated version:

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...itfires/page/1

And here is the overall page with several other videos and how to’s:

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...erations/s2000

And just my own contribution real quick. Regarding re-installing the snap ring in the caliper body...I know that this step can be pretty difficult because the internal mechanism has to be pressed down and the snap ring has to be squeezed. So here’s what I came up with:

I used the smallest deep socket that would fit over the internal screw mechanism and a socket extension. I then used the clamp to compress the internal mechanism below the snap ring depth.

From there, it was super easy to drop in the snap ring, squeeze it with the snap ring pliers and put it in place. Zero effort, the snap ring just slipped right in. Super easy.

Last edited by trpltongue; 01-09-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

This also looks helpfull:

Honda Civic Service Manual - Rear Brake Caliper Overhaul - Brake Calipers

I will do this Job in the spring. If i dare. In my opinon it is important to lube every rubber part and seal with the sepcial brake caliper greas, AKA as "red rubber grease" or the one from ATE.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
This also looks helpfull:

Honda Civic Service Manual - Rear Brake Caliper Overhaul - Brake Calipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNiwEaD6e4

I will do this Job in the spring. If i dare. In my opinon it is important to lube every rubber part and seal with the sepcial brake caliper greas, AKA as "red rubber grease" or the one from ATE.
i absolutely referenced this video when I did mine! He did some things a bit more difficult than it could have been though. As mentioned above, but also, when putting the small “pill” back into the parking brake cam, simply load up the cam with grease, then use long nose pliers to place the pill inside the caliper and into the parking brake cam. Then assemble the screw mechanism outside of the caliper and use pliers to guide it down inside the caliper body over the pill and voila, perfect alignment first time

I also didn’t have to blow up the caliper with air to get the dust boot on the piston, although that did look easy enough. I put the boot on the piston first, laid the caliper flat on the table, put the bottom portion of the seal into the inner groove, and then used my fingers and a pick to press the top of the boot into the inner groove. Took about 30 seconds and sealed perfect

The most confusing thing was just where to use each grease. I ended up using the red grease for all of the moving parts and insides of the seals in the caliper. The orange grease for the sliding pins, and the shin itsu grease on the outside of ALL rubber. No idea is that’s correct because the service manual for the S2000 doesn’t mention anything about three types of grease, it only mentions 1 type and uses it for everything.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for you hint about the dust boot, i will remember and try it.