S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear brake pads are fried!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pads are fried!

Okay, so after a few track days the last HPDE at Road Atlanta took my stock rear pads down to the bare metal backing. Right rear especially. Question is, how come my front pads still have plenty of pad left? Billman? Is there a front/rear bias adjust? Have my rears been dragging this whole time? Is this normal under track conditions? I've never heard of the rears going before the fronts. Before I replace-wanted to know of any adjustments or concerns.
BTW-only 10k miles...
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 AM

e-brakes up??
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sebringer,Sep 9 2005, 12:10 AM
Okay, so after a few track days the last HPDE at Road Atlanta took my stock rear pads down to the bare metal backing. Right rear especially. Question is, how come my front pads still have plenty of pad left? Billman? Is there a front/rear bias adjust? Have my rears been dragging this whole time? Is this normal under track conditions? I've never heard of the rears going before the fronts. Before I replace-wanted to know of any adjustments or concerns.
BTW-only 10k miles...
Hey Sebringer how are you doing? Glad to see you are still hittin' the track! What I can tell you is the rears definitely get hotter than the fronts because there is no air to cool them off. This maybe the problem. Only 10k miles you must be a trailer queen or something?

The rears should definitely outlast the fronts. I believe I changed my rears @ 70K. With 2 track days, few mountain runs and normal city driving.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 AM

Hey Jeff- gotta hook up with you local guys again here someday. Say hey to everyone. Things are way too busy and now I have to do my brakes...

Jspec- no e-brake problems-that I know of...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffxyan,Sep 9 2005, 07:36 AM
The rears should definitely outlast the fronts. I believe I changed my rears @ 70K. With 2 track days, few mountain runs and normal city driving.
Holy crap! 70K out of brake pads... including 2 track days? Usually, if I do a 2-day track weekend, I expect to replace brake pads at the end of the weekend. This was the case both when I was using OEM all around, and also now that I use Cobalt SpecVRs on the front and OEM on the rear. However, when I used OEM all around, I would expect to replace front and rear at the same time. With the Cobalts, they last longer than the rear.

Oddly enough, I managed to go through a set of rear pads (down to the backing, gouged the rotors) in one track session at Hallett a while back, even though they had 80% life when I left my house. I still haven't figured that one out, but they must've been dragging or something.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that:

1) OEM pads are unacceptable for track use.

2) Any pad fade will result in higher pedal pressures overheating and causing extreme wear with the rear worse than front as there is limited air flow.

I solved all track brake problems I had by:

1) Using track pads at the track.

2) Ducting the front pads so they always stay cool enough to fully do their share of the work.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same set of rear pads on my racing s2000 for all of last year.... that was 9 race weekends plus a couple of test days.....

Same thing this year. I am on my 7th race weekend and the back pads are about half gone.

Something sounds wrong with your car.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Sep 9 2005, 11:04 AM
Something sounds wrong with your car.
No, it's just that he's using OEM pads. The rears get hotter than the fronts, and the OEM pad material crumbles. I have a set from my second track day. The pads are so cooked that the material just crumbles away in your hand if you touch it.

When I use the proper pads for the track environment, the rears last a really long time.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Okay- as expected, I think I just track toasted them. I will go ahead and replace them and see what happens.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One track day and I started with 3/4 pad front and rear. The rears were fried more than the front. At one point we were all forced to pit with no cool down laps and the rear pads were literally smoking! They were like kingford charcoal when I got home.

Quick Reply: Rear brake pads are fried!