S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear brake caliber overhaul - Problems

Old 06-06-2021, 03:21 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.sneezy
I made a thin collar that the piston slides through but is small enough to get the boot over first. It's 3D printed, the STL file is here.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4668699

But, I really like the air gun seal popping over idea, I'll try that next time first....
Martin
This is also a great idea. Thanks for sharing. If you are old shool and have acess to a lathe, fabricating a collar from brass or aluminium is only a matter of minutes.
Or maybe PVC pipe from the DIY store fits, if you are lucky.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:39 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Job is done, calipers work perfect. I also fitted steel braided brake lines. Works perfect. I think this thread contains a lot (all?) usefull information for everybody that want to do this job. Just be aware that you take your time and have the proper tools around. To sum it up:

- Removing Part 15: Use long nose pliers or compressed air
- Fitting part 14, the "Pill": Glue it to part 15 with brake caliper grease and place it into position from above with a magnet
- Installing Part 18, the Circlip: Compress spring Nr. 11 with a tool or a helper that uses a long socket OR place the circlip into the bore and gently and carefull tapp it into postion until it snaps into the groove
- Installling the dust boot: Fit the boot over the piston and then into the caliper
OR fit the boot in the caliper, press the piston on it and blow compressed air into the caliper until the boot pops over the piston
OR make a sleeve.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and helpfull tips!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr.Matchbox:
Kyle (06-07-2021), SkidPad (06-07-2021), Slowcrash_101 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Using compressed air to blow out part #15 really is clever, and I was hoping this method would work for me. Used a long nozzle as recommended, and got a good seal with a rubber cone tip in the cup of #15.

The first problem is that instead of ejecting #15, the rubber seal for the e-brake axle #13/25 would just blow out of its channel. Got around this problem by wrapping a scrap piece of thick solid copper wire between the seal and #22/31, so the seal was wedged in place.

Gradually increased pressure on a cheap hot dog compressor, try after try, until nearly maxed out @100PSI, but #15 just didn't want to budge, with the caliper holding all that pressure.

Also tried a pic, then pliers and a few other pry tools to no avail. Let the area soak in PB Blaster overnight, and tried wacking the caliper a lot. No luck.

What finally worked was a cheap pair of locking forceps from Harbor Freight around the outer lip of #15. Maybe the air helped to nudge #15 out just enough that the edges could be gripped, not sure. Had to pull much, much harder than expected, and part #15 finally released and went flying. It's out now, but a bit scored up on the outer edges.

Long story short, if all other methods fail, some locking forceps may help remove #15.