S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear brake caliber overhaul - Problems

Old 05-31-2021, 02:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Why are rear calipers so freaking complicated? Simply because they incorporate the e-brake? Otherwise, why wouldn't they just be smaller versions of front calipers?

I cursed enough rebuilding the front calipers that I didn't even consider taking apart the rears. So good job tackling and completing that job!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recommended circlip pliers for removing part #18?

Thanks all for sharing problems and tips for rebuild of rear caliper. Also attempting a tear-down and rebuild.
Mr. Matchbox or others, could you recommend adequate tool or specific pair of circlip pliers for
removal/install of the circlip #18?

Looking at these on amazon so far, but not sure if either can reach, or work without plier tips breaking...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Any specific tool recommendations that are known to work for this circlip removal/install would be appreciated!
Old 05-31-2021, 04:50 PM

Received 646 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
Thanks all for sharing problems and tips for rebuild of rear caliper. Also attempting a tear-down and rebuild.
Mr. Matchbox or others, could you recommend adequate tool or specific pair of circlip pliers for
removal/install of the circlip #18?

Looking at these on amazon so far, but not sure if either can reach, or work without plier tips breaking...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BO8QPN9Z&psc=1

Any specific tool recommendations that are known to work for this circlip removal/install would be appreciated!
Amazon Amazon

These are what I ordered/used to do the job. Worked fantastic. Used them again just yesterday on a buddy’s rear s2k calipers and also on my RX8 rear calipers I’ll be converting to shortly.

The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 06:46 PM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

I have used the same circlip pliers. Worked.
To place the circlip back, i cheated. I first tryed to compress the spring, but i dont had the tool. It will maybe work with a long socket and a T-Handle and a helper who compress the spring, but i was alone.
So, i placed the circlip as far down in the caliper bore as possible with circlip pliers and then gently and carefully tapped it into place with a screwdriver until it snapped into the groove. Worked perfect and leaves no scrachtes in the bore. Double check it with a flashlight to make sure the ring sits properly in the groove.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:06 PM

What about the dustboot? To get the piston back into the Dustboot is also a PITA job. I came up with the idea to gently blow compressed air into the caliper until the dust boot pops over the Piston. I closed the bore for the brake line with the banjo bolt with a pice of rubber tube pushed on it acting as a gasket. But be very carefull, watch your Fingers and lower the air pressure!

Any other ideas?

Old 06-01-2021, 08:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll add another confirmation for the
long-nose pliers long-nose pliers
. These worked well to disassemble the RX8 calipers, though I've yet to reassemble them (looks a little more difficult than the S2000 rears)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:56 AM

Default Rear dust boot install methods

These videos may be helpful:

Skip forward to 16:16 for rear dust boot install:

These guys do make it look easy. I won't say how many hours of practice it took to get the inflation technique to work on the fronts the first time. (;

Last edited by isthisusernameavailable; 06-01-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Thank you all for the pliers recommendations! Also, for the tips on the circlip re-install.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
What about the dustboot? To get the piston back into the Dustboot is also a PITA job. I came up with the idea to gently blow compressed air into the caliper until the dust boot pops over the Piston. I closed the bore for the brake line with the banjo bolt with a pice of rubber tube pushed on it acting as a gasket. But be very carefull, watch your Fingers and lower the air pressure!

Any other ideas?
I made a thin collar that the piston slides through but is small enough to get the boot over first. It's 3D printed, the STL file is here.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4668699

But, I really like the air gun seal popping over idea, I'll try that next time first....
Martin

Last edited by mr.sneezy; 06-03-2021 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Remove redundant image
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
These videos may be helpful:

Skip forward to 16:16 for rear dust boot install:
Slipping dust boot over piston

Inflate boot over piston technique

These guys do make it look easy. I won't say how many hours of practice it took to get the inflation technique to work on the fronts the first time. (;
Thank you. I also tried to fit the dust boot to the piston first, but had absolutely no luck. But this method maybe works for others.
Fitting the dust boot with compressed air worked for me, despite i need some attempts.

Quick Reply: Rear brake caliber overhaul - Problems