S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Axle Nut TSB - DIY

Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

It is imperative to follow directions here. It is possible to over tighten them. The procedure best describes what I do, but there is a certain amount of inherent feel with every fastener you torque and mechanics discretion must be used.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steamedturtle
I broke both my driver and passenger side axles within a week of each other. They sheared off right at the hub. I'm wondering if I tightened my axle nuts too much. I should just follow damn directions... I tightened the nuts to 150ft lb with my torque wrench and then quite easily got well past 70 degrees with my 3/4 in drive bar and cheater bar. I'm just trying to make sense of why both my axles broke. Next time I'll follow directions.
How many miles did you have on your car before doing this?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought the car with 79k, did the TSB a few thousand miles later when I learned of it. Car has 89k now. My driver side axle broke a week ago. I installed a new driver side axle yesterday, and I checked the axle nut on the passenger side and it was pretty loose. So I tightened up both nuts real tight and went for a test drive and the passenger side axle broke 15mins into that drive on a regular right turn in 1st gear, which was the same circumstance that my driver side broke, except I was turning left.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 CR and I never heard any "clicking noise" that you guys describe to indicate the signs that your bearing is starting to fail. However Im definitly getting your typical wheel bearing hum noise while driving and more prominent when turning a certain way (putting more load on the opposite side). Any reason why I didnt hear the warning signs first? The vehicle only has ~48,000km on it. Should I go ahead and replace the bearing or do you think performing this tsb will be sufficient?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
I have a 2008 CR and I never heard any "clicking noise" that you guys describe to indicate the signs that your bearing is starting to fail. However Im definitly getting your typical wheel bearing hum noise while driving and more prominent when turning a certain way (putting more load on the opposite side). Any reason why I didnt hear the warning signs first? The vehicle only has ~48,000km on it. Should I go ahead and replace the bearing or do you think performing this tsb will be sufficient?
Brad, I'd give the nut adjustment a try and see if it helps, it might be enough to solve your noise issue and certainly can't harm.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did this today at a speed shop on my 06. They used an air gun to remove the old nut easily. Best wrench they had was 1/2" drive up to 250 ft/lbs so I asked them to do 180 ft/lbs + 60 deg with new axle nuts from HTG and grease I brought. I know 3/4" drive is best for this job, but they got it done without breaking tools. No rear clicks so far.

They didn't stake the new nuts though. I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this on my '06. Using the 3/4 inch wrench linked in the first post (excellent wrench BTW) I was able to tighten it further than 60 degrees. In fact, I was able to turn in from 12 to 3 oclock past the factory marks. If I really pushed it I probably could have gone further, which is surprising considering I'm 5'8" and 145lbs.

Do you guys think I'm safe to leave it as is? I didn't re-stake the nuts yet just in case I need to re-do.

As always, thanks to everyone here for any help.

-Jack
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

My drivers side hub bearing went bad while on vacation and we had Honda fix it(out of town). 3000 miles later the axle snapped in half right where the nut meets the hub. The Honda dealer in my home city told me it looked like the first Honda dealer put the axle nut on with a air impact gun or a tq. wench that was way out of adjustment. How much tq. he didn't know but he said it had to be over 220 lbs. So there is a limit on how much tq. the nut and axle can take. I'm taking the parts to the CA.BAR tomorrow to see if I can get the first Honda dealer to pay for all my damaged parts from their bad repair job.

Here are pic's of TougeHorseman snaped axle and my axle and nut looked exactly the same except that my wheel did not back off of the axle like TougeHorseman did. Scroll down to see the pic's.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...d-my-wheel-on/

ROD
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can absolutely over tighten them. I snapped both my axles at the hub this way. I wouldn't go past 400ft lb or 70 degrees past 180 ft Lb. Simply follow the directions in the OP and don't try to overachieve like I did.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked13
I just did this on my '06. Using the 3/4 inch wrench linked in the first post (excellent wrench BTW) I was able to tighten it further than 60 degrees. In fact, I was able to turn in from 12 to 3 oclock past the factory marks. If I really pushed it I probably could have gone further, which is surprising considering I'm 5'8" and 145lbs.Do you guys think I'm safe to leave it as is? I didn't re-stake the nuts yet just in case I need to re-do.As always, thanks to everyone here for any help. -Jack

if you went 90deg you def over-tightened it, basically just going from the 12 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock NO MORE...betweek 55-60deg is all you want.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Nut TSB - DIY