S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Really need help w/ head gasket thickness/piston to valve clearance & timing chain

Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Looks like my 2006+ (drive-by-wire) intake manifold. One (1) PCV inlet. The non-DBW cars have three inlets for little hoses.

-- Chuck
thats what I noticed as well
Old 08-03-2018, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
If you need piston to valve clearance. Clay the motor.
claying the motor wont help with timing chain geometery issues, plus my head was butchered by a machine shop and is uneven and .011" below the service limit. its not worth the risk, which is why i got a used head

Last edited by Silver_Bullet_S; 08-03-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
This seems like an easy fix. Buy the block off plate from Puddymod and just drill/tap those holes on the manifold. Or press fit a rod on the flange hole of the intake manifold. I wouldn't do anything to the head. I bet you could get someone to weld the block off plate onto the manifold as well if you don't want to drill and tap.
hey bro, thanks for your reply... good looking out

so the hole/passageway in my 06 intake manifold for the air injection is there because honda must've used the same casting mold for all S2000 intake manifolds. It's definitely an open passage way. I took a pic (see below) where I inserted a straw in the air injection passage way and you can clearly see that the straw protrudes out where the air injection valve body would sit on the intake manifold. This means that the AP2 intake manifolds (including 04-05) definitely have an open passage for the air injection just like an AP1 intake manifold would. So it's not blocked off by anything on the 2006+ intake manifolds like people seem to think.

You can't just use a block off plate to close the passageway on the intake manifold becasue there is a tiny hole/passageway on the side of the intake manifold mating surface that leads to the air injection passageway in the manifold (see 2nd pic below). I don't know what this hole does, but even if you use a block off plate, this hole would still be open and effectively be a "leak" in the head becasue it sits in front of/ahead of where a block off plate would go.

This means that you can't use an AP1 head with 2006+ motor unless you plug the air injection hole on the intake side of the head itself. This plug has to be in the cylinder head itself and can't be in the intake manifold or be done with a block off plate becasue the tiny hole in the side of the intake manifold would still remain open. Of course, anytime you're modifying the head itself it's pretty risky, and I haven't had good luck with machine shops so far being that 2 machine shops ruined my 06 head in the first place.

This must be why Honda has no air injection passageway in the AP2 heads cylinder heads (see 3rd pic below). They're just using the same casting mold for all the intake manifolds for all years of the S2K w/o drilling + threading the holes for the air injection valve body on the AP2 intake manifolds; and they also just block of the air injection passageway in the AP2 heads themselves.

If anyone has a DBW 2006+ motor and needs a new head, you either have to get an AP2 head or risk plugging up the air injection passageway on the intake side of an AP1 cylinder head. You can't just use a block off plate or plug up the intake manifold by itself. JB weld is not a safe bet either. If I go the route of plugging the air injection hole in the head, the plug would have to be counter sunk into the head so that the intake manifold and gasket will bolt up flush.

At this point I'm not sure what route to go and I'm worn out. I took the head I got from you to the machine shop (Clark's Automotive in Cupertino) yesterday and they said it was .006" warped around cyl 2&3, but when i measured it myself it was only .0025-.003" warped around those cylinders; which is totally fine and expected on a used head. I don't know why Clark's got such different measurements, but this is the same lousy shop that ruined my 06 head, and they also forgot to install my clutch and oil squirters.

So now when I add in the cost of your head + the machine shops cost to resurface it (which i wanted to avoid), and the cost to do a valve job + parts; it's about $500 less than the cost of getting a brand new head... Only issue is that I don't trust any local machine shop to resurface the head and I'm broke.

I started questioning all the work Clark's Automotive did for me becasue they're also the ones who decked my warped blocked. I checked my block for straightness yesterday, and it turns out that I can fit a .0035" feeler gauge under the straight edge (honda's SL is .003"). So it appears they may have also ruined my block! WTF! Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore!!!

I now have to either take a loan to buy a new bare head, or find someone to plug the one I got from you and resurface it as little as possible and do valve job. I also have to figure out what to do about my block. I might just leave it the way it is and slap a new head on and cross my fingers. I'm hoping somehow my measurements were off and the machine shop did deck it straight, but that's a risky gamble. I'm just worn out from everything going wrong and out of ideas. I need my car back and can't keep throwing more money at it.

air injection passageway in my 2006 intake manifold. notice the how straw goes all the way through so it means this is an open passageway

the hole in the side of my 06 intake manifold that leads to the air injection passageway. it sits in front of where a block off plate would go so just a block off plate wont work. id have to plug the air injection passageway on intake side of the head which is risky if not done properly and can cause a leak between the intake manifold gasket

2006 head where the air injection passageway is closed in the head itself. this would have to also be done on an AP1 head to make it work, you cant just use a block off plate

Last edited by Silver_Bullet_S; 08-03-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Don't make this more complicated than it is, of course you can still use that AP1 head.
Just fill up that air injection hole on your 2006+ intake manifold with JB weld and it's good to go.
a block off plate alone wont solve the problem, see my post above this reply. JB weld isnt the safest route in the event that it doesnt seal properly or gets sucked into the head.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Buy the block off plate to close the big hole. Then just tap the secondary hole and plug it with a bolt. If you take it to a good welder he will plug both holes for you easily.

I didn't know you had problems with your block too. You may be in longblock territory at this point.

You could always clean my head surface and your block surface well and put it together. You may be overanalyzing a problem that's not there. If it doesn't run well, then go chase a different solution.

Last edited by roel03; 08-03-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Do not use a re-timed gear, the entire premise of it is a band-aid to fix an already messed up system. It has no effect on chain tension. If you are, then you are compensating for a lower head height, which means severely skewed chain geometry.

Bottom line, the distance between the crankshaft and camwheel is paramount. When that is correct, so will be your chain geometry.

Hello Mr.billman
relate to this topic
mine just milled the cylinder at 0.3mm can i still use OEM headgasket would it still be safe without changing timing gears?