S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Real horsepower mods available?

Old 10-07-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real horsepower mods available?

Okay, folks,

Thse F20C babies have been out for quite a while now. Does anyone know of some mods (racing or otherwise) that produce significant power? I mean something like radical V-tec cam profiles or someone who can port the heads beyond Honda's already terrific job?

I mean 2hp/ cu.in. is already amazing, and that's with having to pass EPA, and tires chains in winter and idling with the AC on in summer. I run a pure race car and we've now gotten 238 RWHP out of a stock motor using an Electromotive Tec III tuned to only do wide open HP, no smog, or part throttle considerations.

But as always, we're looking for more. Also I have some motivation now. Before I was running the fastest un-blown gas 2 liter on earth, and the fastest Honda on Earth. Now it seems General Motors has decided to run against me and make their Eco-Tec the fastest 2 liter on earth. They've got the blown fuel record at 314mph, and are going to try the other three 2 liter classes (un-blown fuel, blown gas and un-blown gas) and I am trying to defend my unblown gas honors next week.

The car is really hauling butt these days. I was able to put 3 mph on my previous El Mirage record (scta-bni.org car number 690) last week at 192.551 mph, and next week at Bonneville we are trying for 265+ (fingers crossed).

So gimme some help here with race mods that don't involve blowers, NOS, more cubes or Nitro.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-07-2004, 03:45 PM

Toda Series II cams I've heard add some significant oomph after VTEC.

$.02

oh by the way, hi Jim!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:51 PM

VTEC killer cams, port n' polish.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are cams available. I'm running the Toda Spec A version 2 cams, and they make a good 6-8whp on a stock motor with a stock intake/header/exhaust. Since you're working on a race application, I'd say that you should consider Toda's VTEC-killer camshafts. Very aggressive cam-profile, and since they get rid of the "low-cam" lobes, you can lose weight on your valvetrain, too, because you can get rid of all the extra mechanisms that make VTEC work.

Due to the high lift of these cams, you'll need pistons with larger valve reliefs in order to avoid valve-to-piston contact. I know Toda offers a piston kit specifically for this application, and it will also bump your compression ratio up a bit. I'm not sure how much it increases compression, but I would think that you should shoot for 12.5:1 to 13:1. That bump in compression should also give you nice gains in power, assuming you can run higher octane gas to prevent detonation, and can use your EMS to set the timing in the right place to fully take advantage of the high-compression and high-octane gas.

Joe Alaniz is the only name that I've heard thrown around for competition F20C heads. I've heard people are happy with his work on FI applications, and I'd guess that he could come up with appropriate specs for an NA application, too. From what I've heard, Joe's work is currently in big demand, and he has a pretty lengthy turn-around time. If you're having headwork done, you might consider putting in Titanium valves while you're in there, too. Again, it will drop some power-robbing weight on the valvetrain. You could also use flat-faced valves to up the compression ratio, even more.

If you're going to start doing NA work on this engine, be sure you have plenty of $$$ to throw around. It'll get pretty pricey.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 7 2004, 04:55 PM
If you're going to start doing NA work on this engine, be sure you have plenty of $$$ to throw around. It'll get pretty pricey.

The good thing with n/a and also a reason why people tend to take the n/a route with other cars, is that you can buy everything in steps. You don't need to shell out 5G's all at once for an n/a set up. Instead you can do it step by step and enjoy the difference that each mod makes as you progress. N/A is the most fun (my opinion) but also the most expensive route to mod your car.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:54 PM

At this point, I would imagine Honda should have contacted you to offer assistance. If they have not, I think you need to contact them. If they do not want to help you, I'd start looking for a manufacturer who will.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Former Moderator

Since you are running a full race car. I would suggest you look into headwork with Alaniz have them mate it to 52mm ITBs with better cams. This is guessing you haven't done this stuff already. That's pretty much it without going to larger displacement. What EMS are you currently running on the car?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:54 AM

For your situation, getting Alainiz to rebuild the engine is a good idea. In addition to the "VTEC killer" cams, head work, higher compression, lightened valvetrain already suggested. Since you are basically have to rebuild the engine and big bucks:

- Get the engine blueprinted and balanced.
- Get all the parts upgraded to raise the rev limit. Hopefully custom intake, open header, ported head and custom computer will generate power in the 10k rpm range.
- Replace the water pump with an electric one to reduce parasitic drag.
- Replace wet oil sump with dry oil sump to reduce windage loss and improve reliabiltiy.
- Get a super light flywheel, since you don't have to worry about drivablity.
- I would think a ram air intake could help, if it doesn't screw up your aerodynamics.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point, I would imagine Honda should have contacted you to offer assistance. If they have not, I think you need to contact them. If they do not want to help you, I'd start looking for a manufacturer who will.
I agree with this statement 110% Honda if your listening put your arms in your deep pockets and give this guy a break!!!!

Plus I also think you should hit Joe with a sponsorship deal, fastest N/A F20c worked on by Joe Alaniz would shout volumes for his company so your in a great position to negotiate. Good luck

Andy
Old 10-09-2004, 11:26 PM

Holy begeezers that's fast. And only with an EMS??? Wow, what an idol you are!

Quick Reply: Real horsepower mods available?