S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Real DIY battery relocation.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

also a sealed battery box will come equipped with an external vent
Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lowandsmooth,Feb 26 2009, 07:40 AM
Well at the track its required..... my guess would be so you could never short the terminals out and cause a fire but idk im not a safety inspecter. I would just use one because it looks cleaner.
With that black plastic box, it doesn't move because of the bottom nipples going throught the floor, and it has a lip on all edged perfect for the battery holding it in place. With the metal mount wrapping around the top I think I meet all the requirements, I don't see any way on earth my setup would get knocked loose and have the battery shift even a inch. Maybe I need to make a vid to explain it better.

By the way, I'm not pissed or anything, critisism is important as we wouldn't want people following a method that would get them in any trouble or mess up their car.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to passivate or paint the holes in the bottom of the trunk to prevent any corrosion from both the dissimilar metals as well as removing the primer and any other factory rust prevention if you think that can become an issue.

Edit: I also agree that the ground looks a little shaky, during startup with those long cables, it seems like that spot may be a choke point.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) rerouting it on the passenger side would be much better, there's a good amount of wires going on at the driver side last time i pull mine off.

2) battery can lay down(if the cell permits) for lower center of gravity, most small cell/racing battery can be lay down. not sure about your battery but some lead acid battery will outgas, my miata has a battery with vents that leads the gas outside of the car, people replacing the oem battery with cheap battery without the vents will most likely to have a acid out trunk, not sure how it works in the s2k tho'

3)the tool well might be too far off the end if you want to centralize the mass, the spare tire location is a perfect spot. even oem spot is right between the front and rear axle, the tool well is outside of the "mid" section...

4)running wires thru metal holes without rubber gromment is asking for it, vibration can cut thru insulation fast

5) you might need to scrape up more paint for a better ground spot

thanks for taking pictures and documenting this but...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by r6elmo,Feb 23 2009, 08:47 PM
just curious - why would you want to run the battery in the trunk? ON BMWs and some cars I know they do this for balance, but the S2000 is so well balanced already, and the battery is small and it's on the passenger side (opposite driver) so I feel from the factory it's pretty good except it's at a higher place.
no no no. most bmw have them in the trunk is because most owners dont know jack shit and shouldnt try to jump their own cars. so they hide it. no joke
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
bcs

Originally Posted by Ian300D,Feb 26 2009, 08:55 AM
With that black plastic box, it doesn't move because of the bottom nipples going throught the floor, and it has a lip on all edged perfect for the battery holding it in place. With the metal mount wrapping around the top I think I meet all the requirements, I don't see any way on earth my setup would get knocked loose and have the battery shift even a inch. Maybe I need to make a vid to explain it better.

By the way, I'm not pissed or anything, critisism is important as we wouldn't want people following a method that would get them in any trouble or mess up their car.
If you try to race it at all, the track inspector won't care. They have strict requirements and they stick to them. If you don't pass inspection, you don't race. Just a warning to you if you like racing.

But if you don't go to the track at all, then it doesn't really matter.

If I were to do it though, I don't know if that would be my choice of location for the battery. I still think I would have some sort of sealed box to put it in and either on the side or near the front (closer to the seats) of the trunk.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way, since you have relocated the battery in that particular spot, you should have a drain as well. I remember someone had a trunk leakage and after two days of rain... that area was like a swimming pool.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 AM

some older models do leak water into the trunk.

but on the writeup