S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

re-setting EPS

Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no DLC under the passengers dash as shown in the illustration above?

EDIT: Y'know I have the service manual in Deutch as well as an ESM that covers most the countries in the EUDM. Nothing for Australia. Can you find that same page from someone with an Australian service manual. I'll look in the Deutch SM, I'll have to install the EUDM ESM again to look in there, but I'll check it in the small hours if nothing turns up for you (you're like 16 hours ahead of me regardless). I kinda wonder what provisions are made for this sort of thing in other markets anyway.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 315 Posts

[QUOTE=ottokrat,Feb 16 2007, 10:12 AM] Can you please describe what if feels like to need the reset procedure?

My situation is as follows:
Old 02-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Germany has the DatenUberTragungsStecker (16polig) DLC in the same place at least.
It looks like the German cars have their EPS DTC's cleared via DiagnoseStecker (2P) with what they call the SCS-KurzShluss-Stecker 07PAZ-0010100. The part number I recognize as the USDM SRS tool. It's like a $6.00 jumper that you can substitute a paperclip or wire for in a pinch also. Although Honda specifically say's not to use a jumper wire in place of it when dealing with the SRS.
So there may be a different method of clearing your EPS DTC for the Australian market. The procedure for clearing a German EPS DTC looks almost identical to the USDM procedure for clearing an SRS DTC. I'll check the ESM for Europe later.
EDIT: If you get the chance could you post a pic of your cabin fusebox/panel.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the data plugs we have instead...

Old 02-18-2007, 12:53 AM

Does one of those (2P) connecters have two brown wires? If so it's not that one. It's not the one with two brown wires, it would be the other. I'll check it out one other place and get back to you. Thanks for the pics too.

EDIT: Still no DatenUberTragungsStecker?

1. Set the front wheels in the straight ahead driving position.
2. Connect the SCS short connector to the service check connector (2P) located left side of front console.
3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead driving position and hold the steering wheel in the position.
4. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The EPS indicator light comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel.
The EPS indicator light comes on again 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light comes on, turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left again and hold it in the position. The EPS indicator light goes off after 4 seconds.
7. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position again and release the steering wheel.
The EPS indicator light blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
NOTE: If the EPS indicator light does not blink twice and the DTC is not erased unless erasure is made in proper procedures. Turn the ignition switch OFF and repeat the operation from the step 3.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF within 5 seconds after the EPS indicator light blinks twice.
NOTE: If the ignition switch is not turned OFF within 5 seconds after the EPS indicator blinks indicating that the DTC code is erased, the system turns to the memorising mode of the torque sensor neutral position.
Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to left from the straight ahead driving position and turn the ignition switch OFF to return to the alert mode.
9. Disconnect the SCS short connector.
10. Perform the DTC code output operation and be sure that the code has been erased (See Page 17-B-9).

This is for Europe, Lemme double check those wire colors.
Ok, looks like the (2P) connector with two brown wires is the same as the USDM MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector for clearing SRS DTC's. The other, the one you want is the SCS connector for EUDM autos. Best of luck.

EDIT: Here is the DTC output procedure referenced above.

1. Connect the SCS short connector to the service check connector (2P) located left side of front console.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
3. The blinking frequency of the EPS indicator light the DTC.
NOTE:
s The lowest DTC is indicated first.
s The DTCs are indicated repeatedly until the ignition switch is turned OFF.
s If the DTC is not memorised, the EPS indicator light stay on.
4 Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the SCS short connector.
5. Perform the DTC erasure (See Page 17-B-10).

USDM from another thread:
Here is a list of the EPS DTC's listed in the Helm's should they prove useful. There seem to be some missing.
EPS DTC's

DTC: 1 Power relay stuck ON
DTC: 2 Fail-safe relay stuck ON
DTC: 3 LOW FET(Motor drive transistor)stuck ON
DTC: 4 UP FET(Motor drive transistor)stuck ON
DTC: 5 Open to body ground in the motor circuit
DTC: 11 Difference of high voltage and lower voltage on the torque sensor
DTC: 12 A problem with voltage for torque sensor VT3
DTC: 13 A problem with average of voltage for torque sensor VT1 and VT2
DTC: 14 Open or short to body ground in the torque sensor circuit
DTC: 21 A problem with the voltage for lG1
DTC: 22 Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal
----------A problem with average for vehicle speed and engine speed
DTC: 23 A problem with the circuit for engine speed signal
DTC: 30 A problem with the sub-microcomputer
DTC: 31 A problem with the initial current sensor offset
DTC: 32 A problem with the main current sensor offset
DTC: 33 A problem with the current sensor
DTC: 34 A problem with the main microcomputer
DTC: 35 A problem with the sub-microcomputer
DTC: 36 A problem with the change of the motor voltage
DTC: 37 A problem with the motor voltage

DTC: 50 to 62 A problem with the CPU in the EPS control unit

EUDM List of EPS DTC's appears identical with the addition of:

DTC: *7 Detects motor drive current
* Mark: When the DTC cord 7 is stored in the EPS control unit, the DTC cord 37 indicated.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Feb 17 2007, 11:10 PM
Most likely cause of a notchy steering feel after a wreck is a bent steering rack.

Relearning the torque sensor nuetral position won't help you at all. If the steering wheel isn't centered while driving the alignment wasn't done correctly.

I agree with Slows2k. How can their be any electronical fix for an off center steering wheel. While our cars have Electronic Power Steering, the Electronic part of it is only the assist; the steering itself is still mechanical and if it's off center then the allignment of the wheel must be done by adjusting it mechanically during the allignment.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:06 PM

bump
Old 02-18-2007, 11:05 PM

My steering wheel is centered but it doesn't 'return' assisted very well...
Gonna try SenderGreens fix... Thanks for the excellent post BTW!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:31 AM

I just realized that want the procedure for torque sensor neutral postion memorization. All the stuff I posted was for clearing EPS DTC's. Here it is for torque sensor neutral position EUDM:
Perform memorising the torque sensor neutral position whenever the gearbox is removed/installed and the torque sensor or EPS control unit is replaced.
Note that the torque sensor neutral position is not erased even though the DTC is erased.
1. Set the front wheels in the straight ahead driving position.
2. Connection the SCS short connector to the service check connector (2P) located left side of front console.
3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead driving position and hold the steering wheel in the position.
4. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The EPS indicator light comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel.
The EPS indicator light comes on again 4 seconds later releasing the steering wheel.
6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light comes on, turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left again and hold it in the position. The EPS indicator light goes off after 4 seconds.
7. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator light goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition switch OFF.
The torque sensor neutral position cannot be written when the steering torque is detected during this period.
8. The EPS indicator light blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel, then it blinks 3 times 5 seconds after blinking twice. Then, the light goes off.
NOTE: The torque sensor neutral position is not written when the EPS indicator light stays ON: Repeat the procedure from the step 3.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 AM

2. Connection the SCS short connector to the service check connector (2P) located left side of front console.

Which 2 pins am i shorting out and on which connector.. man this is confusing..LOL

Quick Reply: re-setting EPS