S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Re-greased my shifter

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-greased my shifter

What's up everyone?
Today I re-greased my shifter and it feels way smoother than what it was yesterday. When I disassembled the shifter n removed it there was almost no grease left. All of the grease had dried up practically and all that was left were a few chunks here and there. So needless to say I applied the urea grease very generously and had about a palm full of the urea grease left. I reassembled everything and took it for a spin around the block and as I mentioned before it felt way better. However I did still feel some notchiness. I was wondering how much of the grease have any of you guys used when greasing up ur shifters? Is it possible that my shifting just sucks n need to learn how to shift better?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey430
What's up everyone?
Today I re-greased my shifter and it feels way smoother than what it was yesterday. When I disassembled the shifter n removed it there was almost no grease left. All of the grease had dried up practically and all that was left were a few chunks here and there. So needless to say I applied the urea grease very generously and had about a palm full of the urea grease left. I reassembled everything and took it for a spin around the block and as I mentioned before it felt way better. However I did still feel some notchiness. I was wondering how much of the grease have any of you guys used when greasing up ur shifters? Is it possible that my shifting just sucks n need to learn how to shift better?
Things to help improve shift quality:

Change tranny fluid more often than recommended in manual - MTF2
Change clutch fluid often - 2 times per year, clean out master cylinder if it has deposits, change fluid often as it darkens
Adjust clutch rod freeplay
Heavier shift knob (optional but it helps with shift feel
Re-grease shifter
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM

Much appreciated, dude. Thanks 4 the quick response
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by mikey430' timestamp='1381973083' post='22831444
What's up everyone? Today I re-greased my shifter and it feels way smoother than what it was yesterday. When I disassembled the shifter n removed it there was almost no grease left. All of the grease had dried up practically and all that was left were a few chunks here and there. So needless to say I applied the urea grease very generously and had about a palm full of the urea grease left. I reassembled everything and took it for a spin around the block and as I mentioned before it felt way better. However I did still feel some notchiness. I was wondering how much of the grease have any of you guys used when greasing up ur shifters? Is it possible that my shifting just sucks n need to learn how to shift better?
Things to help improve shift quality:Change tranny fluid more often than recommended in manual - MTF2Change clutch fluid often - 2 times per year, clean out master cylinder if it has deposits, change fluid often as it darkensAdjust clutch rod freeplayHeavier shift knob (optional but it helps with shift feelRe-grease shifter
All good advice...

If you do the clutch fluid change frequently, you can use a turkey baster and draw it out of the clutch master cylinder and get nearly all of it out. First time you do it, it'll mix with the dirty fluid in the line and turn dark in a day or two-- then do it a few more times and it'll be clean. Much easier and quicker than doing a full bleed from underneath. If you do a search, there's several threads on here about doing it this way.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The direct linkage will not feel as smooth as a cable linkage IMO. If you did as suggested in the above posts you should be fine. I live with the mild notchiness... because racecar.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1381974262' post='22831468
[quote name='mikey430' timestamp='1381973083' post='22831444']What's up everyone? Today I re-greased my shifter and it feels way smoother than what it was yesterday. When I disassembled the shifter n removed it there was almost no grease left. All of the grease had dried up practically and all that was left were a few chunks here and there. So needless to say I applied the urea grease very generously and had about a palm full of the urea grease left. I reassembled everything and took it for a spin around the block and as I mentioned before it felt way better. However I did still feel some notchiness. I was wondering how much of the grease have any of you guys used when greasing up ur shifters? Is it possible that my shifting just sucks n need to learn how to shift better?
Things to help improve shift quality:Change tranny fluid more often than recommended in manual - MTF2Change clutch fluid often - 2 times per year, clean out master cylinder if it has deposits, change fluid often as it darkensAdjust clutch rod freeplayHeavier shift knob (optional but it helps with shift feelRe-grease shifter
All good advice...

If you do the clutch fluid change frequently, you can use a turkey baster and draw it out of the clutch master cylinder and get nearly all of it out. First time you do it, it'll mix with the dirty fluid in the line and turn dark in a day or two-- then do it a few more times and it'll be clean. Much easier and quicker than doing a full bleed from underneath. If you do a search, there's several threads on here about doing it this way.
[/quote]

^ that is the best way to do it for sure, no need to bleed the clutch unless you had the system opened up in the past which is unlikely. Using the turkey baster will work perfectly.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mister x
The direct linkage will not feel as smooth as a cable linkage IMO. If you did as suggested in the above posts you should be fine. I live with the mild notchiness... because racecar.
Yeah if a person is coming from a cable shifted civic or accord or any other fwd vehicle you will notice that a direct shift linkage feels much different than cable shifters. With a cable shifter you can pretty much shift with your elbow if needed, no need to be precise. Direct linkage shifters offer much more feel through the shifter and you have to be more precise with your shifting IMO, all for the better though.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep driving with the regreased shifter. It will continue to get better. The notchiness is ok. It will help prevent money shifts by being able to feel the gears. I found the shifter grease to virtually eliminate the 1-2 crunch. How about you?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ill be doing this as well. just gotta get my UREA grease ordered.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by mister x' timestamp='1381994316' post='22831746
Yeah if a person is coming from a cable shifted civic or accord or any other fwd vehicle you will notice that a direct shift linkage feels much different than cable shifters. With a cable shifter you can pretty much shift with your elbow if needed, no need to be precise. Direct linkage shifters offer much more feel through the shifter and you have to be more precise with your shifting IMO, all for the better though.
Oh ok makes sense being that I upgraded to my S from a '92 eg hatchback.

Quick Reply: Re-greased my shifter