S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

RC bigger injectors on S/C car, Woes, round 1.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC bigger injectors on S/C car, Woes, round 1.

A big thanks to Jeff at Evolution, a local performance shop, I was able to get my hands on RC's 440cc injectors relatively quick.
Also special thanks to Wes for getting me started on this.
However it was a big mistake to assume this was going to be easy plug and play on my part.
First of all RC injectors runs on different connectors, so stock injector connectors have to be snipped. My trusty mechanic confidently attached the provided RC injector connectors and made it look like stock again.
However when the time came to put back the fuel rail with RC injectors in place, something was wrong. No matter what he did, he could not make the fuel rail go down and expose enough nut head to bolt it down.
After quite a bit of wrestle, he removed the rail and tried to explain to me what is wrong. First thing is that injector seals(black one that goes in to the manifold side) provided was exactly same size as stock seals. But the problem is that the RC injector diameter was bit larger than the stock injectors. So this was like trying to fit a cow through an eye of needle.
At this point, I was nearly about to cry because I am practically stranded there if he can't somehow make the RC injectors fit.
My mechanic felt bad and he looked every inch of the shop to find some seals that may work and I was so thankful that he was able to come up with something.
Finally he was able to successfully install the fuel rail with RC injectors in place.
A quick glance when idling and after a quick drive around the block made sure that there isn't any leak. Phew~~~~
However when I left the shop to go home, I started to notice some faults.
Slight throttle application felt like fuel was getting starved and when applied the throttle further car start to accelerate normally. After few miles, when I come to a stop, my car would stall and from then on, stalling continued when I let RPM drop to idle point. About 10 miles of driving like that, the 'check engine light' came on.
It was too late for me to turn back to the shop since it was about to close when I left the shop.
Being dumb as I am, I continued to drive on despite the chronic stalling problem. At one time I was constantly getting stopped at every light.
I adjusted fuel pressure down at varying level to see if the problem goes away but it wasn't any help.
Today was the day I finally had chance to get back to the shop to diagnos the problem, and guess what?
F&*king bugger start to drive normal again and it didn't throw the code so my mechanic couldn't see what the code meant. He thoroughly checked the connectors and wires as well as the injectors seating without any problem.
It was obvious that my car was running extremely rich especially pre-vtec to all the way down, my mechanic pointed out with the smell of exaust, duh... Also my mileage was totally crap, losing out 40miles of worth similar to when one time I was running CAT less.
A quick talk to RC tech revealed something very disturbing.
According to the included instruction, the RC injectors isn't suppose to seat in fully but rather it suppose to stick out a little. I have described the problem slowly and RC tech told me that the injectors are totally wrong size to be in S2000. He cannot provide me with the bigger seal to work with the injectors since it isn't suppose to go down fully.
So the last word out of his mouth was to get it returned for refund. He said the injector needs to be smaller in length and he couldn't understand why they allowed to be sold without knowing it would fit properly.
Despite all this, I am going to keep it for a while per Wes and Harry.
Looks like I need to get my hands on VAFC asap and get it tuned before emmission components as well as spark plugs go kaboom. My question to you folks is that, is VAFC that powerful and versatile enough address my over rich condition with bigger injectors throughout the rev range??
Also I am going to bite the bullet by going with even smaller pulley than my current 3.4 inch. I am going with either 2.9 or 3 inch soon and limit the rev to 8K.

Anyway, I will report back how my car behaves after few more days of driving.
Please wish me luck that I get things in order very soon.

Thanks folks for reading.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck. keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:01 PM

WOW. I can't believe what I have just read. I'm sorry about all the trouble you went thru Randy. I felt there was some responsibility there that I should have taken. I really trusted the words from RC engineering. I have been dealing with those guys for the past 2 years on every single turbo charged cars we worked on. From SR20DET's to Turbo B18's. They have always been professional and on top of their game. When I called them. I was told that this injectors was especially made for the super charged s2 folks. And I would have everything I need for a bolt on install. Whenever you get a chance. Please bring the car in and I will have Jonathan take a look at the car and hopefully he can think of something. And VAFC does make a great difference on these cars. True power and results can be found on the dyno. Don't underestimate it. It has been the #1 tool of tunning honda for the past 2 years. Just my own opinion. But feel free to call me tommorow, I'll be at the shop.

Jeff - evolution
Old 06-04-2002, 07:40 AM

Well what do you know it,
Later when I left the shop dumbfounded, and filled up at my usual gas station,
my car became possessed and start to stall again.
Maybe it is the damn gas, I will try using another gas station.

But until some tuning is done, I have to take the lighthearted advise from my mechanic. 'Keep the rev up and make sure not to make it fall under 6K.'
His right in someway, I would probably be ok with air/fuel ratio during VTEC.
I just have to drive like that without provoking motorists as well as cops.

Jeff, thanks for your concern.
I don't want to blame RC this time.
Let's see if we can salvage something out of this without returning for refund.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:05 PM

The guys at zdyne have something about this on their website and I have to agree with them:

Laser spray injectors may be suitable for race-only situations (constant high RPMs and intake velocity), but this does not validate their use on street driven cars. They sell those injectors for two reasons:
1. That is what everyone is buying, and what they are selling (a catch 22)
2. They are easily available with many high flow rates, and hold up well at extreme fuel pressures.
Look at the "laser spray" RC Engineering Lucas Disc injector and ask yourself if the fuel is atomizing in the intake runner or puddling at the head of the intake valve at low RPMs?

I would ask RC if they can supply you with a pintle style injector with the flow rate you need, and return the Lucas Disc injectors.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:02 PM

Randy

I spoke to one of my buddy who is running a turbo charged s2000 with RC 440 injectors. He ran into the same problem you did. What he did was he custom made a spacer for the injectors to fit into it. I can ask him more in detail later, but it would help me if I can have Jonathan take a look at them in person. If you can, swing by the shop

Jeff
Old 06-05-2002, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evo s2000
[B]Randy

I spoke to one of my buddy who is running a turbo charged s2000 with RC 440 injectors. He ran into the same problem you did. What he did was he custom made a spacer for the injectors to fit into it.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:18 PM

hehe, you will see it soon. It's none of the above
Old 06-06-2002, 07:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hecash
[B]BTW, I'm also toying around with the thought of a 5th injector mounted into the air pipe from the supercharger to the throttle body.