S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattling Noise Help

Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Noise Help

I recently bought a '07 S2K and the car seemed to ride just fine at the test drive but after they installed the Lo-Jack, I started hearing some rattling noise coming from what seems to be the front of the car on the driver's side. It only happens when the car is moving and it gets louder as I accelerate but it does not stop when I let go of the accelerator. I figured it might have something to do with the transmission becuase when I put the car in neutral while its moving, the noise stops. The sound does not go away when I press the clutch, only when I put it into neutral.

More detail on the noise appart that it sounds like rattling it sounds like a fan hitting some wires. Not sure if that explains it better than the rattling noise?

I'd appretiate the help, I'm new to the forums and to my new S2000 and I want to keep it running great for as long as possible.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 PM

Have you tried reving the engine while in neutral? Any possibility it could be a heat sheild loose over the exhaust?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with the transmission. Just having the transmission engaged (in gear) can be enough to change the way things vibrate on the car. Is it a metal on metal sound, or plastic?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Have you check oil fill cap? If that's on then it could be something loose bouncing around your tranny tunnel.

Good luck with the fix.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geebs
Have you tried reving the engine while in neutral? Any possibility it could be a heat sheild loose over the exhaust?
I actually reved the engine while in neutral today and it did increase the rattle noise. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, its my first S2000, after having many problems with an audi TT, and I'm just getting familiar with the sounds the engine makes and what not. My friend said it was just loud valves but in my defense I can hear them very defined inside the car while driving and it gets sorta annoying.

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with the transmission. Just having the transmission engaged (in gear) can be enough to change the way things vibrate on the car. Is it a metal on metal sound, or plastic?
It sounds like it's coming from inside the engine and its like a clicking metal on metal sound.

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Have you check oil fill cap? If that's on then it could be something loose bouncing around your tranny tunnel.

Good luck with the fix.
Oil fill cap is fine, I'm taking it in to the dealer see if they can fill me in about the noise. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud injectors? These engines are pretty noisy. Also run a search on "TCT". Yours could be on it's way out. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM

is the noise most pronounced when driving past obstacles like cars and walls
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM

is the noise most pronounced when driving past obstacles like cars and walls
Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude... sounds like it's your TCT. When I first bought my S during the summer it was fine when looking at it and on test drives, then the day I bought it and went home the TCT started going out of wack. I drove the car back to the guys house and threatened to sue him with a civil suit for failing to tell me if anything was wrong with the car before I bought it. His dad told me that he told his son to get it fixed before he sold it but he didn't and tried to slip it past me. Anyways... one thing led to another and his dad paid for a shop to replace the TCT. Point being... I can pretty much bet it's your TCT off of the symptoms you described.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

TCT noise is very distinct. Make sure you search TCT sound clips and match your noise.

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise Help