S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattling catalytic converter....

Old 09-28-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beanolo - could you describe the rattling? Something under my car rattles right at 4500 rpm. Thanks
Old 09-28-2003, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the core from the cat is NOT an easy task. Cats are rather expensive to replace but every now and then they come up for sale here for about $100. That's how I got my third cat. The first one was replaced under warranty. When the second one started doing the same thing I bought the third as a spare for smog and I removed the core from the second. I took several hours to remove that core and if you can I highly recommend you avoid doing it.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:13 PM

the cat is an emissions system and should be changed by honda regardless of the cause of damage. by law if there is a problem with any emissions component, honda is required to change that component free of charge regardless of mileage/time.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:13 PM

the cat is an emissions system component and should be changed by honda regardless of the cause of damage. by law if there is a problem with any emissions component, honda is required to change that component free of charge regardless of mileage/time.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:15 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally posted by RazorV3:
the cat is an emissions system component and should be changed by honda regardless of the cause of damage. by law if there is a problem with any emissions component, honda is required to change that component free of charge regardless of mileage/time.
This isn't true. By law, Honda is required to warrantee the cat for 80,000 miles. After that, you're on your own. If you modify your vehicle in a way that could be interpreted as possibly contributing to the problem, then Honda can deny coverage regardless of miles. It looks like Beanolo has already tried to get Honda to pony up of the repairs, with no success.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by davepk
I took several hours to remove that core and if you can I highly recommend you avoid doing it.
well.. either way i have to check it out i guess.. im praying its just the heat shield.. but im pretty sure its more than just that...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiung
beanolo - could you describe the rattling?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:14 PM

Thanks - I'll try to locate the sound of my rattle - it's gotta be one heck of an experience laying under the car revving to 4500 rpm

btw - I wonder if the reduced backpressure/increased flow/velocity of my single exhaust contributed to the early demise of the core of the cat, if in fact that is what it turns out to be.

oh - btw again. Where is the heat shield that could also be the culprit?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiung
Thanks - I'll try to locate the sound of my rattle - it's gotta be one heck of an experience laying under the car revving to 4500 rpm

btw - I wonder if the reduced backpressure/increased flow/velocity of my single exhaust contributed to the early demise of the core of the cat, if in fact that is what it turns out to be.

oh - btw again.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:36 AM

cool - will try it - thanks again
Old 10-01-2003, 10:02 AM

Bean...
I have the same problem. Except, my friggin dealer charged me 45 bucks to tell me....eventhough I told them to check the cat. Dumb question, any way to repair the heat shield, cat material etc.

Quick Reply: Rattling catalytic converter....