S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattling catalytic converter....

Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling catalytic converter....

Ok, I'm sure most of you techies know of this problem... and its finally happened to me. From what I've read in past articles, there were two possible solutions:

1) Take off the heat shield
2) Replace cat through dealer (I can't because they're blaming it on aftermarket exhaust, and I don't have the stock to replace it with)
3) Replace with test pipe

So far it looks like I will most likely be replacing it with a test pipe (does anyone know where I can get one?)...

Now.. my question is, is driving the car with the rattling damaging anything? Or will I be able to drive it with the rattle until I can figure out a solution?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the rattling is caused by a loose heat shield then i dont think you will have to worry about damaging anything. However, more than likely the rattling is being caused by a loose core inside the cat. If that is indeed the case then it will soon destroy your secondary O2 sensor. That will result in a check engine light but wont affect the operation of the car. If it were me i would get a test pipe asap.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:44 AM

Is there a way I could repair this temporarily to prevent damage until the test pipe comes in?

And again, where can I get a test pipe?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:44 AM

I think some of the sponsors carry test pipes. I dont know of a way to repair the core.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:55 AM

As an alternative to a test pipe, if I can't find one, should I just bring it to a local muffler shop to replace the cat? That should work right?

thanks for your help...
Old 09-28-2003, 03:58 PM

Its worth a try i suppose.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Your catalytic substrate is a corrugated stainless steel foil approximately .002" thick (a little thinner than a sheet of paper), coiled up in a cylindrical shape and held in place by being wrapped on the sides with intumescent matte (a ceramic fiber matte). If the converter receives a great deal of shock, it can cause the matte to break down, allowing the substrate to rattle around. In time, this will crush the layers of the substrate on the ends which will restrict flow through the converter. Besides increasing back pressure, it could cause problems upstream in a domino effect related to the increased back pressure.

It is possible to remove the converter from the car and "rip out" the metal substrate by fishing out pieces bit-by-bit using various makeshift utensils. It's not easy, but it could be done. If you can get the substrate out, then you just have a hollow section similar to a test pipe.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

slalom44 has the best bet I think, depending on the car inspection regulations in your state(strict emmission regulations). Pull the cat and carefully try to move the inner core material. if it's tight and appears sound, I'd leave it alone.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:49 PM

speeeding has a testpipe you could ask him...
Old 09-28-2003, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slalom44
Your catalytic substrate is a corrugated stainless steel foil approximately .002" thick (a little thinner than a sheet of paper), coiled up in a cylindrical shape and held in place by being wrapped on the sides with intumescent matte (a ceramic fiber matte).

Quick Reply: Rattling catalytic converter....