S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rattles that maybe you have

Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattles that maybe you have

so ive gone through 5 pages of search results using " rear rattling " but couldnt find anything useful, heres the low down:

Rear passenger side its a rattle that occurs going over bumps, it sounds as if one of the top structure bars are loose and rattling against each other but i cant seem to find it and then it still occurs when the top is folded down. sooo any ideas?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,913 Posts

You probably came across this one but the rear passenger side is where the spare tire is. Is something maybe loose in there?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,913 Posts

BTW, our '01 has a very annoying rattle in the passenger side, like near the dash. I've never been able to find that in a search either. Thought it was radio related but it still happens with the radio off.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 PM

i really think that there is no rattle from within the dash, and it has not much to do with model year. The reason you are attributing it to the dash is because you ears are not finely tuned enough to guess the actual direction of a sound within such an enclosed space, ask a blind person and they could definately tell you the direction.

However I have actually eliminitad every rattle in my car and would like to point out what I have done.

1. Replace the part that the soft cover latches hook onto , the newer model often reffered to as hardtop strikers (but actually just the newer model now) are made of a slightly harder material and slightly different shape which helps to prevent some rattling. It also removed like 90% of wind noise at speed with the top closed.

2. After doing the above and failing to remove all the rattling from the latch areas i realized that the plastic body of the latch (part with the hook on it) was actually rattling against its inner metal body. The fix for this was to remove the latches (two screws) and stuffs 2-3mm thick wads of paper in between the plastic and metal parts of the body as well as use lithium grease on the inner working; as well as tighten the two inner screws which limit the motion of the actual hooking action.

3. Put the passenger seat at a certain angle and move it back, the angle and position are chosen so that when moved back the seat is actually pressing against the rear wall slightly, this prevents any rattle from the seat when noone is in it.

4. Buckle the passenger belt even when there is no passenger. This prevents it from hitting the wall when it rests in a certain position.

5. Use white lithium grease on every joint of the convertible roof, this will have to be done in stages, with the roof closed, halfway open, and fully open. This allows you to see all the joints, some of which are not readily visible when in a particular postion.

6. Use either lithium grease of silicone (large amounts) on every part of the window molding that the roof touches when closed. Honda actually recommneds the grease and tells you to work it into the rubber. I used silicone because i was afraid of harming the rubber.

7. Lastly put a little patch of cloth where you seatbelt rubs against your seat when you wear it, this prevents a squeeky noise.

Not directly related but------

A. Use lithium grease liberally on every moving part of the car that does not come in contact with rubber, obvoiusly use your head and dont start sticking it places where it shouldnt be like some parts of the engine bay. Do put it in places like door hinges/hood/trunk as well as steering column and pedals and steel cables for throttle and stuff. Also look in the service manual for the lube points (it recommneds certain lube intervals)

B. Use silicone spray (the pure stuff) on every little piece of rubber that you can see. Silicon is to rubber what moistouriser is to your skin. Also personally I put silicon on leather as well (but thats up to you, i wouldnt reccomend it unless you really trust your silicone). Also put it on pieces of rubber you cant see such as cv boots and ball joints. Silicon will help the rubber to seal better and last longer. In my case it also eliminated some water into the cabin from the corner of the window, it did this by swelling the rubber.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by PapiChulo,May 25 2005, 07:30 PM
so ive gone through 5 pages of search results using " rear rattling " but couldnt find anything useful, heres the low down:

Rear passenger side its a rattle that occurs going over bumps, it sounds as if one of the top structure bars are loose and rattling against each other but i cant seem to find it and then it still occurs when the top is folded down. sooo any ideas?
Got the same exact rattling, in the rear passenger wheel well/trunk area. I will be emptying my trunk & putting everything back in tight this weekend. I had this awhile back & it went away on its own, now its back 3 mos. later.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:06 AM

Also, I have narrowed down a rattle on the passenger side that has occured since I swapped my interior. The rattling was from the metal rod that attached the door lock piece to the locking mechanism at the rear of the door. It was loose enough to rattle back and forth. I will one day repull the door panel and isolate the piece with some adhesive rubber/dynamat, but right now, if I lock the door, it eliminates the rattle.

Also, Tizbad's recomendations for lithium grease and what not looks good and I will try that on the top tonight since I'm still getting a bit of rattle/squeek from the top.