S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

is rattle sound after engine turned off normal?

Old 11-01-2001, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is rattle sound after engine turned off normal?

hi, i just got a civic about 2 months ago. now i know that i've been under 50mph and under 5k of rev during my period of engine break in. but lately i've been getting rattling sound after my engine has been turned off. i was wondering if this is normal. if it is not then i should take it to dealer and have them fix it rite? please help me!!!!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:32 PM

Moving to Under the Hood.. I think that they can help you out over there
Old 11-01-2001, 10:05 PM

I think I know what you are talking about. It happens to me too, so atleast you're not alone. I think this is normal...
Old 11-01-2001, 10:11 PM

I posted about this awhile back and was informed that it is normal. I sure hope its normal because it hasn't stopped.

Mine comes from (what sounds like) the right-mid section of the engine bay. Though I can hear it from the back too, might be something with the exhaust.

But anyways yeah. People have told me that this is totally normal. My fiance's Nissian Xterra does the same thing

Jaykkub
Old 11-01-2001, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaykkub
[B]I posted about this awhile back and was informed that it is normal. I sure hope its normal because it hasn't stopped.

Mine comes from (what sounds like) the right-mid section of the engine bay. Though I can hear it from the back too, might be something with the exhaust.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:24 AM

it is absolutely normal.

My 02 has about 1000 miles and it does that as well.

It think that it is due to the fact that the catalytic converter cools off quite fast when you turn off the engine, which causes some clicketing noises.

It use to happen in my older Porsche 968 as well.

Nothing to worry about. It usually happen after a spirited drive.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2001, 08:45 AM

If it lasts for a few minutes, it's the sound of the exhaust pipes shrinking as they cool. I believe the noise comes from the movement of the joints. You wouldn't normaly notice the noise, unless you just got car that makes you stand and admire it when your done driving it.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:22 AM

The noise that I hear can be heard when the car is idle too. I have the comptech exhaust, so when the car is moving nothing else can be heard

But after talking to some people it sounds like this is normal. Heh, I sure hope its normal or I'm screwed

Jaykkub
Old 11-02-2001, 10:53 AM

my 01 with 5k miles has noise once the car is shut down. i noticed if i dont drive the car very hard, the noise is not as loud.
if i drive the car rough, then the sound is a bit louder. sounds like it is comming from the cat converter.

at first i thought i was using bad gas and the car is pinging.

btw: has anyone tried ontane booster on their car yet. do you guys recomment an octaine booster every fill up.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Jaykkub
The noise that I hear can be heard when the car is idle too. I have the comptech exhaust, so when the car is moving nothing else can be heard

But after talking to some people it sounds like this is normal. Heh, I sure hope its normal or I'm screwed

Jaykkub
Wait a minute. You have a rattle while idling?

Either your exhaust is loose (check *all* the bolts) or someone lost a bolt when they were working in there. Bolts like to sneak under the heat shield.

Cheers,
Ben

Quick Reply: is rattle sound after engine turned off normal?